Let us remember ALL those who served in the military so that the rest of us can have our lives less disrupted. While this day began as a celebration of the end of WWI, it soon became more inclusive, eventually officially becoming a federal holiday to honor anyone who served in the various branches of the military and their peripherals. So thank you to all who fit this description, including those now gone.

A moment of silence with the sound of Taps in our thoughts.

I did a Veteran's Day ceremont at our October Pack meeting --- the closest to the holiday.

Our opening ceremony included a pretty loud recording of naval gunfire, followed by a band playing "To The Colors" as a prelude to our flag ceremony.

I explained the history of the holiday, then invited veterans to come forward to be recognized. We had a vet of the Iraq war and of the Korean War.

Our third vet was working that night. A year ago he was in northern Afghanistan as a Navy SeaBee and former Marine. His wife cared for the family's three small children --- and ran our popcorn sale as well. I invited the whole family to come forward to be recognized, since I think they qualified as veterans at home.

I was pretty pleased with that. I don't think we recognize and honor our vets often enough. I wonder how many times the Korean War vet has been publicly recognized for his service in the past sixty years?

I recently watch the History Channel program Vietnam in HD, and found it riveting. Good level of "history" without getting too deep or too shallow.

How we treated those Veterans is sad. I think as a country we learned a few things from that experience.