Frankly, I would have probably voted for him myself.

So then give him a chance to do the job.

Think beyond this specific situation and look at it from the boys' perspective. If you start vetoing decisions, where does it stop? It could very easily, and quickly, end up a case of "Mr. Smith doesn't trust us, so why should we try/care/do anything?"

At PLC tonight I approved the list of officers, but with a fairly hard warning of my expectations for the positions. One issue, which I didn't detail above, is that the SPL split the job of ASPL-Program into two, ASPL-Program AND ASPL-Outings -- essentially creating a job for his friend. I made it clear that with the extra help I expect all meetings to be planned out weeks in advance and that a rolling four-weeks of troop meeting plans will be completed and posted. Lots of little details which tend to slip.

Interestingly, the first challenge of the new year popped up following the troop meeting, just an hour-and-a-half later. Seems the youngest and most immature of the new ASPLs is trying to create his own political machine in his patrol by engineering the PL election. I'll spare you all the political intrigue, but the new ASPL appointments have created a bit of a monster. The SPL now has the task of sorting the whole thing out, which will require him to deal with the his friend, the new ASPL.

I'm not quite sure when the troop became quite so political. I suppose it because for the first time we are to a point of having a competitive election for SPL and several of the patrols.

I think that the SPL has decided, and you should support that. On the other hand, I suggest you have contracts like I've seen with many troops, where a boy must not only agree and sign, but get his parents to support his duties. then if he doesn't follow the program, then not count the leadership position towards advancement..

We are about to have Patrol Elections in a few weeks. The New SPL attended NYLT this Summer, and is ready to go.. We will let him make his own mind up, and run with his decisions. 6 months is the next SPL Elections, so the boys will decide how well he is doing.

Seems the youngest and most immature of the new ASPLs is trying to create his own political machine in his patrol by engineering the PL election.

Yah, hmmm...

I'm comin' back around to Eagledad's post, eh? Yeh need to take a look at what about your unit culture is allowin' boys to view leadership positions as a political game rather than a tough responsibility and honor.

There are a lot of ways to do that, and they depend a lot on the lads involved. You've heard many of 'em here, eh? Give 'em rope, let 'em succeed or fail and be forthright in your critique and debriefs. Move away from elections until your boys become mature enough to handle 'em. Take 'em all on a challenging high adventure trip where they really have to work together hard in order to succeed, and it ain't just a plop-camp party.

I would suggest, though, that da last thing is somethin' to think about. When yeh have kids gaming elections, it's often a sign that the program challenges and expectations aren't high enough, so the kids are findin' new challenges. ;) When da program challenges for a patrol are enough to require everyone in da patrol to really work to make da patrol succeed, then the leaders become obvious and yeh tend to get more a consensus or arranged succession on PL, or a friendly election where whoever wins appoints the other as APL. Same with da SPL in bigger troops.

I confess, though, I'm a bit more fond of the PLC selecting the SPL, since they're the ones who actually see other boys' skills at coordinatin' and planning between da patrols. In a patrol-method troop at least, the rank-and-file patrol members won't usually see most of what da job of an SPL is, so it's a lot harder for 'em to make an informed decision.

Beavah

It's been a few years since I mentioned our way of doing things, but here goes...

Our boys don't elect the SPL -- they elect the ASPL. After six months as ASPL, he becomes the SPL, assuming he's done his job correctly and hasn't stepped down. As a one year commitment, it turns into less of a popularity contest.

It took me a while to warm up to that, but I have to admit I prefer this over the every six months free-for-all that some of you have experienced...

The other side benefit is that by the time the SPL gets around to naming "his" PLC, he has experienced the good, the bad, and the lazy. He knows he has to be able to rely on the guys he nominates, and so far, it's worked out pretty well.