Irene hardwood for firewood

Just wanted to pass along:

If you end up cutting up some hardwood trees due to Irene...instead of hauling them off, how about cutting into fireplace size logs and donating to those who still use wood to heat with.

Lots of elderly people still use fireplaces/ wood stoves to heat their homes and sometimes to even cook with.

Don't know anybody? Contact a local church who might know.

A scout is thrifty and helpful!

This is a GREAT idea - and the same could be said for any natural disaster.

One caveat though - there are firewood travel restrictions throughout the eastern United States because of the Ash Emerald Borer so if you plan to do this, try to find folks that are local and not 100 miles away.

We had our own storm three weeks ago in Oklahoma City where 85mph winds took down two of my big oaks. I cut the trees into fireplace size logs and stacked along side the road with a plan of finding someone needing firewood and willing to haul it off. But no worry, I came home from work to find all the stacked logs in the neighborhood gone. I guess they did us a favor, but I really would have rather chosen the recipient of my oak because I'm sure it will be sold at a nice profit. And, they still left the rest of the tree branches stacked 8 feet high.

Barry

One word of caution:

Before the wood should be used it needs to be seasoned (dry throughout). "Green" or unseasoned wood will produce more creosote in the chimney and could lead to a chimney fire.

In our area that means stacking the wood for a year before use.

http://www.csia.org/HomeownerResources/ChimneySafetyInfo/HowToSelectFirewood/tabid/115/Default.aspx