Hello,

I'm a new member of the forum. I am a former Boy Scout who attained the rank of Second Class, and almost made First Class before I had to leave scouting for family reasons. I hope to be a scout leader in the future.

I now have a son who is on his way to Cub Scouts next summer. I don't know who is more excited, my son William or myself! When the doctor told me it was a boy, I saw him in a scout uniform right away. I took him to visit a local den last weekend and he loved it. Poor guy hasn't graduated kindergarten yet.

I hope to learn from this list. I called my district commissioner to volunteer with the local council and hope to help out with a den or troop and follow my son through his scouting years. Soon I'll be turning in an application for unit commissioner.

Dean Roberts

Welcome.

Having a boy in scouts is an exciting proposition. I have one in Wolves and another who will be joining up in a couple years.

Only advice I'd give is to be sure to find the 'right Pack'.

I transferred my son midway through his Tigers because we were miserable with our first group.

I didn't do any research or talk to the leaders beforehand. Picked it because it was around the corner from my house.

The den we're in now is a 25 minute drive, but he (and by association, me) is much happier.

• 1 month later...

Hello from MAINE! I'm a Scout Mom, with 2 Eagle Scouts and 1 Life Scout (5 MB and the Project away from Eagle...)! Been involved in Scouting since 1997, from Cubs to District and back and now back to District! Currently Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner for York District of the Pine Tree Council here in Maine. Attended WB in 2005 (FOX Patrol rocks!) and Philmont in 2002, 2008 and headed back with Scout troop in 2010...phew! Scouting is my life; my DH says it's taken over our home; I have handouts, etc. from previous RT's all over! Glad to be here...

Welcome to the forum. Your scout pedigree is much like mine, I did cubs, arrow of light and made 2nd class and some work on 1st (I love to say I was close but I don't think it would be true) before I was sidelined with an injury and then moved oversees. 35 years later my son was in the same pack. I was a committee member and then spent a year as Cubmaster. Both of us continued with scouting (not my old troop as it was long gone) he was a patrol leader and senior patrol leader and earned his Eagle before turning 18. I was Committee Chair and then Assistant Scout Master and I have no plans to stop anytime soon. I agree with Frank that being there is a real help to keep your son interested; more so in Cubs, less so in Boy Scouts. As your boy gets older he will appreciate you stepping into the background, still there but not so close. As an adult leader, get as much training as you can. Start with some of the things you can take on line like Cub Scout Leader Fast Start and Youth Protection training. See http://www.scouting.org/CubScouts/Leaders/Training.aspx for training info.

One caveat about this forum. You will find that there are a lot of people with strong opinions and sometimes abrasive personalities. Don't be put off by the discussions here before your first den meeting or camp out 'cause that is where the fun is. There is also a lot of good information to be had here. If your experience is like mine you will find a lot of adult friends in scouting and a lot of boys you will care about almost as much as your own son.

Good luck and best wishes.

Hal