Lifelong Scouter, New to forum, ready to motivate!

Hello everyone

I recieved my Eagle rank this summer. I have had a very long scouting history so I'll keep it brief. I came from a small town troop in northern Minnesota. My troop was very inactive, our largest and usually only trip each year was to the region summer camp. Before I reached the rank of Eagle my troop fell apart. It was a moment that we all saw coming the national problem of little to no turnout takes a hard hit on a smalltime troop. The good news was I kept in touch with my National Jamboree scoutmaster and I quickly enrolled in his troop (3 hours away!) There were many troops closer but this was a sentimental troop for me. I met quickly accepted this troop as my new family and earned my rank in the nick of time.

I am now eighteen and attending college. I am not yet trained as a scoutmaster but I hope to become one someday. However I am very disturbed with the downward direction of this great organization. I look back to historical times of scouting say maybe the 50's. Scouts were the honored highlight of the town. I have dreamed of changing the outlook of todays scouts. I picture a military crisp (yet fun) troop. We need to motivate today's scouts. I want to start a troop that has the comradery of a family in and out of scouting functions.

My major of choice is also natural resources. I feel that scouting has also abandoned a lot of the old outdoor heritage that we once used as our cornerstone.

I guess what I want to say is that I want to start suggestions on motivating the boys and bringing back the outdoors into the organization.(This message has been edited by countrymatt07)

Hi and Welcome.

It is great that you are willing to do what you can to serve the youth in your community.

In a recent interview a reporter asked the new Chief Scout Executive if Scouts and Scouting was in danger of becoming like the buggy whip?

He said that Scouting needed to remain relevant for todays youth.

What relevant might mean? Might depend on where you are and who you ask!

Back in the 1950's we had a lot of adults who had served in the military, many having served in WWII.

Tom Brokaw titled his book about these people "The Greatest Generation". These people (Who did such wonderful work during and after the war) gave birth to the Baby Boomer's.

Many of these Baby Boomer's seen the world and how things should be in a different light than their parents did.

Where as their parents seemed more willing to obey orders and do what was expected, this next generation asked why?

Many rebelled against what they seen as "The Man".

The youth we serve today in Scouting are the children and grand children of these rebels.

The world has changed a lot since the 1950's!

"military crisp" Might sound like a good idea, it might well work? We do however need to be careful that we don't allow our own expectations to get in the way of serving the youth who come our way.

One of the best Sea Scouts we have in the Ship, is a real Heavy Metal fan. His hair is almost at his waist! When he isn't Sea Scouting he is planning his next visit to Oz Fest!

I think he is about your age, maybe a little younger.

You might want to give some thought about maybe joining a Sea Scout Ship?

If you remain as an adult do take the training's with an open mind.

In our Council we do have a few units that might be seen as "military crisp". These units do seem to appeal to some Scouts and their parents, sadly one or two of them dwell a little too much on the military and forget that Scouting is not a military organization.

Eamonn.

I am not in favor of giving boys a hard time about hair or musical taste, but I also don't think this has much to do with how military or non-military scouting is. I have a picture of an ancestor who fought in the civil war and he had long hair and a long beard. These are more issues of style and fashion. However, some sub-cultures also use these as symbols of their rebellion and solidarity, the same sub-cultures that have promoted drug use. Unfortunately, then, boys may not understand all the implications of adopting these symbols, and I think it is appropriate for scoutmasters to point out the possible negative consequences of falling in with the wrong crowd.

Hey guys thanks for replying. I have no problem with personal choices. In your example I have no problem with long hair, or heavy metal. I could care less if the some of the youths ideals in their everyday lives do not match mine perfectly. What I meant by military crisp would be more of a troop that moves as one unit. One that would have good turn out (Hard to do nowadays), when they march in parades or color gaurd situations would move in unison. I have seen too much of boys that treat the uniform with disrespect (Example slouching with shirt untucked). I want the boys to want to be scouts. I want them to want to show pride in their troop, their organization, and themselves. I want the boys to be challenged everyday. Even though I knew this was a great organization when I was fully active, I never even came close to grasping the endless possibilities in character building, career networking, research into different fields, high andventure and just plain fun! Someday when I reassert myself in a troop I don't want them to take this chance for granted.