traditional scout skills

Great stuff. Very interesting. Thanks for all the info.

I like the games book and the idea of using games that aren't just fun but also teach and/or test scout skills. I've seen a little of that in our troop, but it seems that often fun and advancement don't go hand-in-hand.

Boy Scout Games by Charles Smith (1952) also seems very good - fewer games, but more explanation of the use of games in Scouting with details on working with the PLC, etc.

Unfortunately, what I remember most from Scoutmaster training just a few years ago did not include much about the use of games. I have to admit I had trouble staying awake during the Powerpoint presentations, so maybe I slept through it.

Also, unfortunately, the merit badge work does often turn into something that more resembles school work. I wish all the merit badges could be re-written to include games related to the subject of study.

"merit badge work does often turn into something that more resembles school work. I wish all the merit badges could be re-written to include games related to the subject of study."

Please don't think that I'm pointing the finger or in any way being unkind.

I do believe that we need to take a long hard look at the purpose of Merit Badges and how Scouts go about earning them.

I can and do see that there are some MB's that Troops might want to work on in a Troop setting, there are others that if the Annual Troop program is set up in such a way, Scouts will more or less fall into meeting most of the requirements.

Still most MB's should be about Scouts following areas of interest that an individual Scout might want to pursue.

For some of these Troops might very well have resources that can be made available.

For example I live in a rural area. A lot of people involved in Scouting own farms and farm equipment. They are an excellent resource for Farm Mechanics MB.

A Troop might have a few Scouts who might want to get involved with this badge and have them meet with resource who often is a MBC.

The Troop as a Troop doesn't need to do much more.

My big beef is when Troops bring the expert in and spend a month or so covering the subject just because they have an expert and if the truth be known only a couple of Scouts have any real interest in the subject to start with.

Then of course what often happens is that the only real requirement for earning the badge is having sat through the classes.

As Scout Leaders, we need to be Imaginer's.

Sometimes all that is needed is to add a made up story to add spice to what might seem like a very mundane task.

The number ten can full of melted green jello becomes an Atomic Isotope.

Others might take a lot more work. Having Scouts use make up and chicken bones to make First Aid become more interesting.

Doing hikes at night with check points and activities along the way.

I made the mistake of thinking that older youth would find stuff like this childish and boring, but our Sea Scouts who are mostly about 16 really got into it.

Ea.

UCEagle72 - Can any references to amateur radio's essential-ness in those disasters be found in any media other than those produced by ham radio groups?

With no offense intended towards the hams who do volunteer their time and services during crisis situations, I think that a lot of misinformation about the overall usefulness and "essential-ness" of ham radio gets spread...