This website arranges for volunteer buglers to pay taps when a veteran who has died has a family that makes the request.

Buglers are notified of such requests in their area and volunteer when they wish to perform the service.

I imagine that pretty frequently the vet is a Scout, and perhaps a Scouter too.

http://www.buglesacrossamerica.org/

Please review the bugle request below and click the link below if you are interested in playing for this event.

If you can not accept this request, please do NOT respond to this email. If you wish to volunteer, click on the link below ... please do NOT respond to this email.

Event/Deceased Name: funeral/James M. Izett

Branch: US Army

Funeral Site Address: Maple Leaf Cemetery, 1961 NE 16th Ave. Oak Harbor, WA 98277

Funeral Date/Time: 5/7/2011 2:00 PM

Additional Notes: Jim, my father, was a veteran of World War II and fought in the Battle of the Bulge. I can provide information about his rank at a later date. Thank you.

Volunteer for this request

I am registered with Bugles Across America, but have never had the opportunity to play. We've had a couple troop buglers I've encouraged to register, although I don't think any have.

But a question -- would it be appropriate for a Scout -- or me for that matter -- to wear a Scout uniform to the service?

Hello TwoCub,

Re: Cub Scout Uniforms

If I ever got my lip back in shape, I'd wear a Boy Scout uniform on a "mission."

There is a discussion board as part of that website. You could ask that question there to get more opinions.

I think you're ok. Scouts wear uniforms when they volunteer at cemeteries and at patriotic events. I think this qualifies as both. My only caution: make sure the uniform is complete--even if the bugler has to borrow some pants from another Scout.