Some of our Scouts would like to start a Facebook page for our troop. I have a FB account that I don't use too often but I am aware of how it works. I'd like some input from the group on doing this.

Does your unit use Facebook?

Can this replace a unit's website?

What is your main purpose of having a FB page, communications between members, recruiting or some other purpose?

Who oversees or monitors the page?

Are there issues or concerns that a unit should address or be aware of?

My pack does have a facebook page, I do not believe it was intended to replace the pack website as it is essentially by invitation only, i.e. you have to ask to join the group and get approved. Only folks outside the pack who have access are the SM and CA for the CO's troop and crew, the DE, SE, and our UC

I don't know why it was created as not many people use it.

Our CM created it, I post on it, and that's the extent of it's use.

There are issues that need to be aware of. You need to limit who has access to it. Because if you don't you may find some of your unit's pictures used for advertising purposes overseas. Yep one family in the USA had a FB pic used in an advertising campaign in the Czech Republic. It was a Christmas card pic that was sent to friends, and posted on FB. Unless you specify thet FB cannot use the image, they can and will.

What is your main purpose of having a FB page, communications between members, recruiting or some other purpose?

Who oversees or monitors the page?

Are there issues or concerns that a unit should address or be aware of?

For a lot of youngsters these days, Facebook messaging and wall posts have replaced e-mail as their main form of electronic communication. So a troop Facebook page can definitely help keep your Scouts in touch.

Make it a group page, not a regular personal/"friend" page - that way you can't see what your Scouts are posting on their own walls and such - no worries about "snooping." You can restrict who sees info, and who posts, to members only. You can even keep outsiders from seeing your members list.

Facebook really is a great tool for group communication. Photo albums from treks - reminders about upcoming events - mass invitations - etc. - all with a few clicks.

Our Troop has a Facebook page, started by our SPL on his own. I don't think you can use it to replace a Troop web site, as some people refuse to use FB. Ours doesn't get a lot of traffic, probably due to us using SOAR for our Troop web page - it offers the photo albums and very good email capability. That being said, it's not a bad thing to have, to add to your communication tools. I have found that many of our Scouts don't check email regularly, but they do check FB.

Yep E. that's basically my experience,

My VP-Program started an FB group two years ago, and I don't think it has helped communications much. The FB group is basically youth run, so it doesn't consume much of my time, but it would be a nuisance to me if I ran it.

In fact, the youth who do run it don't do much with it. I guess they think it's a waste of their time too.

It is useful for ...

FB users who are part of the group can put a link to it in their status (e.g. "... came from an awesome trip with @Unit 123" ... when you type an @ sign it disappears and a link to the user/group you type in can be selected).

Tagging pictures.

Events ... you can invite a group, if a member is on FB, they can click a button that says their coming.

Things to keep in mind ...

- FB should not be used by kids under 13. So if it's those boys you're trying to reach, don't count on it happening.

- FB subjects youth to a lot of media parents may rather them not see.

- Different youth use FB differently, some may even block notifications from your unit's group!

So, even if you have a unit FB group, you will still need E-mail (I use Google Groups to keep a mailing list my unit can share), and will still probably want a website.

4. 14 or older or with parent's permission.

We have a nice website that I maintain: www.troop400delta.com

It's a way for people to see what we do and contact us. Also a way to put documents and information out there to be available as needed by members.

If the PLC want a FB site and they are willing to follow the guidelines I don't see any harm.

Not everyone is on Facebook nor wants to be.

Keep an open website that can be viewed by all who want to look at it to get basic information.

Create a password protected area for troop only information.

Remember that YPT is in affect with Scouts, even on the Internet.

There are cases of Scoutmasters and others abusing Scouts via Internet.

If posting photos of the Scouts, get a written authorization from Parents, not the boys. Put photos in protected area on website or not at all.

Counsel the Scouts in what the Internet is all about. Once it's out there, you cannot un-ring or un-post something.