Honoring a Former Scoutmaster

Ok, so here's the deal.

Through the wonders of Facebook, a group of guys (about 30 of us) who were in scouts together in the mid-80s have re-connected. We all shared some wonderful experiences under the mentoring of our scoutmaster, for whom we all have a vast amount of respect (dare I say we love the man like a father).

Some of us are geographically separated; so we are planning a get together (reunion) and are planning to invite said scoutmaster. We want to honor him in some way for everything he did for us in our youth. We have time to arrange quite a lot and we have access to his family to assist us (especially his wonderful wife) and still maintain a surprise.

I am looking for ideas from some of you who have served as scoutmasters, or those who just have an idea.

J.E. West endowment is nice. A framed collage of pictures, or scrap book taken by you guys and put together is another (My troop did a poster of pics that I placed in my scrap book). A "roast" is another. A surprise party is a fourth idea.

Also having a celebration that helps scouting is anotehr idea. We had a long term SM (20+ years as SM not to mention a long time as ASM prior to that)who was also very prominent in the community and state that stepped down. Folks got together with the DE and FOS Chair to have a FOS banquet honoring him.

All the Eagle Scouts under the tenure of our old SM did the same for him several years ago. We collected enough money for the $1000 for the West Fellow and had enough to kick in to the local campership fund. Our SM always had a healthy distrust for the Council guys, so in homage to him we specified that the camperships were to be distributed at the descretion of the district Scoutmasters.

Another really cool thing was we had a plaque made up for him inset one US Silver Eagle Dollar for each Eagle Scout. I forget how many Eagles there were, but silver was no where near where it is now, so that may not be as doable as it once was.

We made the presentations during a service at the church where the troop is still chartered and the SM has been a very long-time member. I think having the presentation before the congregation was importanting to him. He knew nothing about it in advance, the minister said the troop had a special presentation and all these old guys just appeared out of the congregation. That was pretty cool, too.

In addition to whatever you finally decide to do,I have an add on idea for you:

Have each one of you select around 15 to 20 pictures of things that represent your life- Wife, kids, job, house, vacation fun, scouting...anything that you couild look at your SM and say: " Because of your mentoring and guidance, this is my life journey."

Noyt only tell him, but show him what scouting and his influence did for you.

As a 31 year old Scoutmaster and now as a 61 year old Cubmaster, I never had the time to take much in the way of pictures. For that reason I especially like the idea of some nice scrapbooks of photos of Troop activities.

I probably have about a dozen slides of six years as Scoutmaster and that's it.

Thanks for the input.

Blanc, I agree on the plaque.

The West Fellowship would be nice if he were still invloved in scouting, but alas he is not.

He was always a shutterbug, so photos of us in scouting he has in droves.

I like the scrapbook idea. A number of us made eagle (not me), we have served in the military, have families and serve in scouting. I think a look at the men we have become due in part to his guidance would be a nice honor.