Baden-Powell classical music??

I'm running out of research time and I wonder if anyone knows about Baden-Powell's music preferences. My sons' Eagle Court of Honor will be heavy on music, because that's their interest, and one performance will be the violin teacher. Classical music. Hopefully with a viola accompaniment, so a duet. I was hoping for her to play something meaningful, not so much to my sons, but something Scout-related. She can play anything...

I know the era in which B-P lived, and what would have been popular in the classical world during that time, etc. I just wondered if any Scouters who have read a lot about him happen to know this information, or where I can go to find out. There is so much info I don't have time to wade through it all!

Thanks!

BP was notorious for doing Gilbert and Sullivan. ;) If memory serves, he played a very big joke on a British command by issuing orders for an inspection by some major general. Everyone shows up for the inspection, except BP. The major general arrives starts the inspection, then in the middle of it breaks out into Gilbert and Sullivan's "I am the Very Model of the Modern Major General." Yep it was BP playing a joke.

Bet it helps to have an uncle who is commanding general.

jamdice writes:

I was hoping for her to play something meaningful, not so much to my sons, but something Scout-related.

Baden-Powell considered three tunes important enough to transpose for his book Scouting for Boys:

http://inquiry.net/outdoor/campfire/songs/war_songs.htm

Eengonyama was sung (and preformed) at the very first Boy Scout campfire at Brownsea, and every following night that week. I'm sure that most Africans would point out that you can not get more "classical" and Scout-related than that! :)

If you or anyone else finds this information helpful, I would greatly appreciate it if someone could make sound-files of "The Scout's Rally" and "The Scout's Call" for the thousands of Scouts and Scouters who visit the Website every day.

Oh, and the sound-file of "Eengonyama" was done by one of my Scout's little sister 15 years ago. A more "spirited" version might be closer to B-P's description as well. :)

Yours at 300 feet,

Kudu

http://kudu.net/