My ASM just completed and got his counicil award for being a 100 night camper. We as leaders have a great time working with the boys and currently have 20 months in a row camping. we are a new troop and have camped in every weather condition. Well when my ASM got his award we were told they are discontinuing the program. when we asked why we were told "Scouting is for the boys". While I agree it is a boy lead program something inside me was revitalized when i became a ScoutMaster. I am an Eagle and am proud of my scouting heritage. To have the ability to continue in scouting is great and shows the boys scouting is still cool when you are old.

Is this an Ore-Ida council thing or is scouting making the move this way. It seems that the major awards ie the Silver Beaver have become somewhat a political award and not something a SM of a small troop can earn.

Interested in hearing others thoughts...

"To have the ability to continue in scouting is great and shows the boys scouting is still cool when you are old."

Excuse me?!! ...when you are old? Shouldn't it be when you are older? :)

Stosh

I just talked to the Ore-Ida Council scout shop manager. She stated that the National Camping Award is being phased out and replace by the National Outdoor Awards program.

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/BoyScouts/Youth/Awards/NOA.aspx

If you look at the requirements for the National Outdoor Awards you will see that the awards are rank based and can only be earned Boy Scouts and Varsity Scouts.

SMJoe,

Being new to the forum, you need to be aware that some of us more "experienced" scouters can't handle being referred to in AARP terms. We see ourselves as just experienced youth. If you don't understand how that works, just ask our spouses who will be quick to remind you that we haven't yet grown up. :)

Welcome to the forum, newbies, rookies, and youngsters are always welcome! :)

Stosh(This message has been edited by jblake47)