Ok so, I went to our councils rendezvous this past weekend and found a fellow that is into making flutes out of both various woods and pvc. He explained that by making these flutes out of pvc a scout could use the project for requirements on either indian lore mb or music mb. The flute is also very inexpensive and supposedly easy to make. The argument could also be made that it would be an easy instrument to learn to play as well as small, lightweight, and easy to carry. I obtained a set of instructions but, the last of his starter patterns had been sold/given out and the instructions are not too inclusive nor actually complete.

I thought I might ask, prior to my first attempt. Do any of you have any experience with building these and what kind of success have you had with the youths building and learning them?

Thanks for any input on this y'all can muster. --RANBOW--

OK, Although I will be attending the CIS in late jan. I definitely could use some additional assistance sooner than that. I gave it my first attempt and although I can get a whistle sound, no matter how lightly I blow I get a hiss and cant get a tone when one or more fingers are lifted off of certain holes and get only a hiss when no holes are blocked.

I followed the instructions to the letter. The instructions were not complete as I mentioned. I noticed right away that the over all length was missing and asked when I picked up the instructions but, the channel depth from round air hole under the bird to the rectangular whistle edge hole is not listed either. I believe this is my issue.

I also would still like to know how difficult building these and learning to play them by scouts is once you have a good set of directions.

Thanks, --RANBOW--

Yeah I saw that too. Thanks for sharing. I would like to add that europe does not have the same standards as we do. The thing about it is, here in the usa you can use the white water safe version of pvc pipe used for plumbing not the grey electrical version. The amount of additional chemicals used in its production process is strictly controlled. Therefore unless you are breathing the dust or inhaling the fumes while smoking it the only harm being done is that to the environment when it is discarded. I dont see a few scouts making a couple of flutes making much of an impact compared to what is being used under most peoples homes.