Most advanced sub runs aground HMS Astute

This gave me a chuckle

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39793497/ns/world_news-europe/

I don't mean this as a slight to our British friends, we have had bigger goofs. Just a comment that no matter how advanced the technology all systems have an inherent weak link - us.

Could some Boy Scouts row out and offer a tow? Maybe re-create that moment when a scout offered help on a foggy night :)

My $0.01

"Could some Boy Scouts row out and offer a tow? Maybe re-create that moment when a scout offered help on a foggy night"

only if they can find a Scout leader with the relevant Adventurous activity permit to supervise/lead the group.

and then asking for boy scouts would mean you would fall foul of the equal opportunities policy (UK scouting is Co-ed )and you might have to do the diversity course ( adult training)

As for technology it has its place, but if it has batteries a screen or/and relies on radio signals then its unreliable. Not only have you got the human error factor to take into account, technology always seems to fail at a critical moment. Using a back up that doesn't require batteries ( ie paper map and magnetic compass) will usually get you out of trouble - if you know how to use it.

As for the submarine, apparently they've got it off the rocks now, maybe the Royal Navy could send one of its new aircraft carriers for some assistance. As they wont have any aircraft for the aircraft carriers maybe they could let some Air Scouts use the flight deck? this could possibly all form part of David Camerons 'Big society' non-sense.