Do we really make a difference?

Well, I figure that for every kid that turns out great because of the program, there is probably one who is the polar opposite.Maybe he likes that tiny bit of power he thinks he has as a SPL and ends ub being a womanizing, pessimistic jerk wad boss to overworked, underpaid, unappreciated employes.

Might have happened anyways, just as the good kid might have been god without scouting.

But we don't know that right now do we.

My son is only 9, so it's unrealistic to see how much total benefit scouting has on him so far.

He does solve more problems on his own, and will just as soon fix most of his meals himself that to ask for help or one of us to do it.

Looking at the kitchen, I'm still debating wether that is a good thing or not! :)

But I figure it's like this: Seeing as he is not even close to being a youing adult yet, I really can't judge him yet either.

I might be wrong, but I'm of the mindset that most everything he learns in scouting , as well as all the intended benefits of the program are more geared towards his adult life AFTER he moves out of the house.

Know what I mean? Pretty much most( but by no means all) of what he will get out of Scouting wil probably be used or take place when I am not around to see it, wether thats because he's at school. at work, or at his house with his wife and kids.

AS a parent, I am basically an umbrella for him. Or maybe a shining light. I always put out light as a parent, so because of my light, I cannot see how well he handles himself in the dark or uses his own light.

Does that even make sense to any of you?

I know what I am thinking! LOL! :) Do you?

So yeah, some kids are just gonna go down the wrong road. Some are gonna be horrible rotten people who will have a 50/50 chance of ending up in jail.

And some are gonna all but be saints without the scouting influence.

It's the ones inbetween that we ought to be looking out for. Only thing is, we can't tell how they will turn out, so we treat them all as if they are the middle crowd.

Oh, one more thing: I am having fun while doing it too. I do not apologize for it either!

Damn! This is a great thread!