Drowning Doesn’t Look Like Drowning

"Drowning Doesnt Look Like Drowning"

This is an excellent article and should be read by all having anything to do with aquatics...

http://gcaptain.com/maritime/blog/drowning/?10981

I recommend printing a copy and passing on to summer camp aquatics directors in addition to discussing with the Scouts in your Troop prior to any aquatic activity. This kind of critical information should not be limited to adults.

The other article in this series,"The Truth About Cold Water" is also very good and a sobering look at importance flotation devices...

http://gcaptain.com/maritime/blog/cold_water?11198

Great article. It sorta reminds me of Sebastian Junger's book, "The Perfect Storm" (turned into a highly fictionalized and somewhat sappy movie), where there is an entire, and fascinating, chapter on the physiology of drowning.

Guy

I can say that I, without a doubt - will back this up.

A few weeks ago, my son was at a birthday/pool party. about 12 kids there, all from the same class at school.

Well, the dad pre screened everybody about the ability to swim and sunscreen before anybody was allowed in the pool area.

He gave a thorough talking too.

But you know how it is...when some parents drop kids off, the kid has to do the answering because the parent has done hightailed it!

WEll, I was sitting about 10 foot from the water with all trhe other parents ( those who chose to stay at the party) and just scanning the water.

I noticed this one girl who was treading water, then sank down under the water. She came back up and used her hands to brush her hair back from her face. Seen it thousands of times. Nothing to consider a threating situation.

Then she did it again. Then again. Well,I figured what "might" be going on, so I got up and walked to where she was ( about a foot from the side of the pool.

As I was about 5 foot from her, her brother jumps in beside her and just sinks. He pushes back up off the bottom and as soon as his face breaks the water, he sinks again.

About this time, I jumped in and grabbed the boy and flung him out of the water. The homeowner had jumped in by this time and was pushing the girl up out of the water.

So everybody tells me that I did a great job of jumping in and saving a boy that they didn't even know was in the water. Most of them didn't see a thing until I jumped in myself.

The funny thing is....Had I not glanced at that girl and continued to watch her for a bit...I would have had no idea about the distress she was in. Matter of fact, I wasn't entirely sure ..all the way to the point I jumped in to get the boy out( who jumped in to save his sister even though he couldn'r swim either!)

The girl did not panic (outwardly) did not say a thing nor give any impression whatsoever that she was in trouble.

Nope! She looked like she was just getting hair out of her face.

I have no idea why I watched her for more than a few seconds or why my attention stayed with her.

So, I concur...drowning doesn't look like drowning!