Whats the job of your Troops ASMs

Committee or ASM? Ah the quandary. They really blend together in my opinion and in our troop, and I don't really mind whether particular functions are done by committee members or ASMs. It seems like I just posted on this topic not that long ago, actually. The idea that the equipment coordinator is a committee function just strikes me as funny (although I know it's listed that way in the literature.) Who knows best what the state of the equipment is? People who go on the camping trips. For jamboree troops, the second assistant Scoutmaster is in charge of equipment, working with the quartermaster.

Quite honestly, I would not be too worried about having too many ASMs. I might be concerned about having too much adult influence at a meeting, but not about having too many ASMs. That's a problem I'd love to be confronted with, at any rate. I'd find something for the adults to do to be useful.

The right number of ASMs would also depend on how reliably they can attend meetings. Do they travel often on business? Have other conflicts? Military bases can have a whole set of issues around this. Likewise - the number of hours that they can spend behind the scenes also has an impact.

I like the idea of resqman's troop - having an advisor and a backup advisor per patrol, plus a couple others. In addition to their position as a patrol advisor or backup, there are lots of other particular assignments they could take on - including some of the 'committee' functions - and also including things like Aquatics, OA, High Adventure, Acting SM for a given outing, ASM for Program (a la Wood Badge), Experts on various topics, Adult Grubmaster, Photographer, and other positions are really only limited by your imagination.

We also have some blending between ASMs and Committee. Our CC loves camping as much (or more) than I do, and he will go if he is in the country. His job does keep him from several trips a year (he is currently trapped in London), but if he can go, he will. Other committee members will attend a trip from time to time, either if they are very interested in the activity or we need transportation help.

To be an ASM in our Troop, the candidate has to be registered (committee member) and active for at least a year, and complete all SM/ASM training. We want a year to see how they work with the Scouts and see if they really get the program. We currently have 3 ASMs for 42 Scouts. We have one new dad who really wants to get involved in the program, and he is registered to take the training courses offered at Summer Camp.

I view the SM position as full-time, meaning I attend all the meetings and campouts. I view the ASM position as part-time, meaning they attend most meetings and most campouts. Between us all, we work very well as a team and get it covered.

We don't have a lot of specific jobs assigned to individual ASMs. We do have one who takes care of pop corn, one who works with equipment, one who collects paperwork for trips. They just took these jobs on as they came up and they saw a need. The four of us work together as an Outdoor Committee, working with the PLC to plan trips.

Our Troop does not have a formal selection process for ASM's. I became an ASM because I requested the position, the Scoutmaster knew me and did not have any objections, and the troop committe approved my request. Most adults that register with our Troop usually begin on the troop committee unless thy make a specific request to serve as an ASM. Our ASM's must be ready and willing to attend as many outings/campouts as possible including availability to provide transportation. That said, we have committee folks that enjoy camping as much as the ASM's and always willing to assist. We have lots of friendly cooperation, no one is "power hungry", and I'm blessed to be a part of it.

Our ASM's usually have specific assignments that the SM delegates to them. One is a "Trail to First Class" advisor, another advises Life to Eagle candidates, etc.

What do I do? I just do what I'm told by the SM :) It varies with every outing and campout.