I had an interesting experience this past week. One of my boys had his EBOR and upon entering the room, stood at attention and gave the Scout salute to the Board members. They were all Eagle Scouts themselves, but two of them were not in uniform. The third was in uniform and finally feebly gave a salute.

During the decision deliberations, the first comment from them to each other was: "How does one return a salute when sitting and not in uniform?"

After the EBOR he went back up to the waiting area and saluted the Eagle Coordinator and told him of their decision. The Coordinator's only comment was that a Scout should salute only the Flag and he did not return the salute. The boy responded, "That's not what the Handbook says." and left it at that.

What say ye?

Stosh

From page 20 of the new Boy Scout Handbook:

"The Scout Salute is a form of greeting that also shows respect. Use it to salute the flag of the United States of America. You may also salute other Scouts and Scout leaders."

Sounds like the young man knew exactly what he was talking about!

In the Army, we do not salute indoors, unless

- Reporting to a Commanding Officer

- Exiting the Commander's office after a formal visit

- The Commander takes his/her leave from the classroom or conference room.

When I see the Kabuki theater of a Scout/Scouter returning to the salute and then lowering it after holding his arm up for the Oath/Law when the ceremonial leader says "Two," I want to throw up. Drop the arm immediately to the side.

Oh ... and to the son of a gun who challenged me for rendering Honors to the Nation in Scout uniform, vice the Scout salute (not here at Scouter, :) ) , I simply say read the amendments to the Flag Code enacted on President Bush's watch.

The definition of a Veteran: Any man or woman in the United States who swore the Oath of Enlistment/Office, then wrote a blank check to the United States of America, with a value up to and including his or her life in defense of the Nation.