Yep, Parvuli Dei is for ages 8-10.

However Alassa stated the only emblem her son has done is "Light of Christ". As her son is now a Bear, the odds are not good that she would start working with him on Parvuli Dei at this point in the year. That leaves earning it as a Webelos.

While she could wait until 5th grade to work on Parvuli Dei with her son, since one of the optional "Faith" requirements for the Webelos Badge is to earn the religious emblem of your faith, and there is no similar requirement for AOL, it makes sense to work on it next year.

We usually encourage our Cub Scouts to work on their Religious Emblems in 2nd, and 4th grades. It fits in well with their educational abilities, their religious ed studies, and their Scouting requirements.

The National Catholic Committee on Scouting administers the religious emblems program for Roman Catholic Boy Scouts.

They have a superb website. It is every bit the equal of PRAY's site.

Their specific set of pages covering the religious emblems program are at:

http://www.nccs-bsa.org/emblems/index.php

Alassa, if you have further questions, there is a drill in on the NCCS site. Since you say you are in Central Texas, you are in Region 10. There is a further drill-in to find your Dioscean Catholic Committee on Scouting:

http://www.nccs-bsa.org/contacts/region10.php

I trust this helps. Walk with Him :)(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

Thanks everyone for the info.

Just to clarify, because I think it came across differently, our particular den is not doing the RE together. I do have a Baptist Bear cub who has done his RE, and I wanted to know what sort of documentation is associated with that particular program. ScoutNut cleared that up. :)

My own son has done Light of Christ, and, yes, we are waiting until Webelos to work on Parvuli Dei. I bought the workbook this year and it seemed a little over his head at the moment.

John-in-KC, I knew about the NCCS website and have even shared it with the Religious Education coordinator at our church, specifically the parts about the Rosary patch and the American Saints. It is a great resource! Thanks!

SSScout, thanks for the PRAY website. I didn't know anything about that one.

Finally, I love this website! For someone who has never been involved in scouting until last school year, it is a great resource! I've been doing a lot of lurking and learning! Thanks to whoever runs it. :)

""Technically the awards come from PRAY not a church."

Is that to say then that technically the Eagle award comes from the Scout Shop?"

No. PRAY has developed the literature for the religious emblem. Much the same as BSA has set the requirements for the Eagle award.

On PRAY's website

Do I have to belong to a church to earn a P.R.A.Y. award?

No, you do not have to have official membership in a congregation to earn this award; however, the program requires that a pastor review all work and oversee the program.

Which denominations use the P.R.A.Y. program?

Protestant and Independent churches. The following is a partial listing of the denominations that use the P.R.A.Y. program: African Methodist Episcopal, African Methodist Episcopal Zion, Assembly of God, Baptist, Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), Christian Methodist Episcopal, Church of God, Episcopal, Lutheran, Pentecostal, Presbyterian, United Church of Christ, United Methodist Church, and Independent Christian churches.

Everyone in this den fit in the Protestant group. They were not required to attend these additional meetings and parents were approached individually prior to starting it.