You know what... not trying to go off subject..but "PARENTS" could be it's own Forum catagory!

Anyways, I'm still new to being an ADL, but I hate when parents show up to a pack meeting, sit for 5 minutes, then go outside and talk on their phone or other parents the whole time, then waiyt and try to catch you as you are going home, so they can ask you 100 questions.

Not sure about any other pack, but at our pack meetings, we get everybody in, give them around 15 minutes to settle in, the have our Color Guard come in and lead us in the Pldge of Allegiance, Scout Promise and motto. Then the next 15 minutes or so are devoted to announcements that families/parents/etc... NEED to here. Things like dues, upcoming events , trips or anything you might need to pay for. Then we talk about general what not stuff, then go into any dens that have skits. After that, we have each den come up and recieve any advancements or awards ( not AoL or Crossover )the scouts have earned.

So pretty much..that parnet missed everything that was the reason for coming, INCLUDING THEIR SON'S MOMENT OF RECOGNITION!

Then they have the nerve to complain because they didn't get a chance to snap a picture of jr getting his Rank Badge!

SMT, I can identify...a couple thoughts:

- Winter camping, for some, is something to be feared, like deep sea diving...when I was a SM, I had an identical situation with a winter camp. Only a few went. In retrospect, I would have had a special meeting with the parents to explain, face to face, what gear to bring and reduce their anxiety level regarding the safety of winter camping. True, only a few might have shown. Though only a few went on the camp, it was a hit...record snowfall.

- Emails and flyers: Folks just don't read emails or flyers. Whether they are too busy, or just don't have it in them, many parents just won't take the time to even skim.

The best way, I think, to catch parents' attention in a timely manner, is via their scout...when he goes home and pleads his case (to the point of annoyance!) how much he wants to go to camp, then the parents will respond, even to just get him to be quiet. The key is making the sales pitch to the scout...then they sell their parents.

It's tough to leave a scout behind who may have wanted to go...but if his parents didn't do their part, and the scout didn't do his (making his wishes be known, earning some cash to go, etc.), well, that's an invaluable lesson in and of itself.

It's disheartening when only a few folks come to an event, be it parents meeting, camp, whathaveyou...it can be a special event for those made the effort to go. And the folks that didn't go? They can be the most vocal critic in the world, but they can never say a) they didn't know and b) they had an opportunity to do something, but they chose not to go. The troop does its 50%, they have to do their 50%...it's up to them.....

Then when the scouts come to the next meeting and rave about how cool the event was, the scouts that didn't go will catch the hint, and put the full court press on mom and dad next time so they won't get left out.

Lots of good ideas and comments!

If attendance is low because someone is scared off, be sure to take lots of pictures, then show a slide show at troop meeting and/or Court of Honor and tell some "war stories" so guys will be determined not to miss the next big event.

I appreciate all the good comments.

It's clear the communication is the critical factor in reaching out to Scouts parents - some are just harder to get to than others!

As many have said, messages of a good time and inspiring pictures from this camp-out will help those who didn't go on this one decide to go on our next one.

The weather looks great for this week-end - snow, highs in the 20's and low's in the teens. So much better to have dry cold weather than temps in the high 30's and rain!

Now I just gotta hope some kid doesn't show up with a cotton sweatshirt and tennis shoes!

Scoutfish

There are no really easy answers for your concerns with parents but here are a couple I used when I was Cub Master/DL and my sons SM uses now...

I talked about it at the beginning of the meeting...email me your questions and I will answer them later after I have had dinner.

All that information is in the Pack/Den newsletter...I can email it if you don't have your copy (we put the Scout/family last name on copies so we knew who left it behind).

Now for what the SM says...

You need to get your son to contact the his Pl about that.

You need to get your son to contact the his SPl about that.

You need to get your son to contact the his Merit Badge councilor about that.

You need to get your son to contact the the ASM that in charge of that.

If an adult leader spends more than 2-3 minutes talking about something or making announcement after announcement it's not for the youths benefit...most youth won't write it down, so why do it?

(This message has been edited by dg98adams)