Come early April 2011 I'll be kicking off from Springer Mountain in Georgia, and headed for Mt. Katadin. Hopefully, I'll make Maine by mid August.

From there, it'll be back to Virginia to hook up with a bud for a flight to Scotland. We'll be headed south to Newcastle, the trail head for Hadrian's wall. We figure at least a week to ten days to through hike this trail, and take in a bit of the history.

If you've done the HW path, I'm all ears for advice....

My older brother thru hiked the AT back in 1976. I was only 10 that summer, but I day-hiked several sections in Shanandoah. I have also hiked numerous sections in and below the Smokies, probably about 200 miles total. I have always wanted to do the trail, it just never seems like the right time to do it; my wife and I are contemplating 2017. I always wanted to go from Baxter State Park south; it's kind of like walking downhill most of the way. Interstingly, less than 10% of thru-hikers go south.

Hiking is Europe is so different than experiences here. I did a few trails in Germany back in the mid 80s with Troop 58 out of Sembach AB.

The HW sounds really interesting! Talk of your history. Can't wait to hear what others may offer.