When I'm presenting BSA training's or presentations at work, I as a rule add that the only dumb question is the one that you didn't ask.

Each and every one of us has had different experiences and been exposed to different things.

Add to this that what might be important to you, might not be to me.

Where as I tend to look at things and try and see where who ever put it together was trying to go? Others have a need to understand what is being said to the last letter and then do their best to implement it.

These people very well might be more "Right" than I am?

Also we tend to have some things that we each really take to heart.

I had the misfortune to spend a week at Philmont with a Lady who wanted to make everything a YP issue. She really got on my last nerve!

I tend to go a bit over the top when teaching knots as I'm afraid that someone will get hurt by tyeing a knot wrong. I have a mental image of us all standing on a dock watching a boat leave without us.

Looking back I still think the strangest thing I have read in these forums was from a Scoutmaster who wanted to put together an Excel sheet that the SPL would use to record the BM of the Scouts at summer camp!

That one struck me as being funny.

Ea.

The old adage says: "There are no stupid questions." Sometimes when I want to catch the attention of my audience I use the phrase, "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people asking questions." Once I have everyone's attention which is the normal reaction to such a statement, I further clarify it with: "...and if you wish to stay stupid, don't ask questions." The best way to get educated is not to attend classes and lectures, the best way is to actively ask questions and find out the appropriate answers so one doesn't stay uninformed (aka stupid). If one doesn't understand, ask. If something is unclear, ask and keep asking until one gets a satisfying and accurate answer. It's the only way to learn.

Whenever I get the chance to "bend the ear" of an expert, I flood them with questions! The purpose of this forum IS to ask questions because, like me, most of those here are uniformed, misinformed or just plain thick when it comes to running a scout program. It's not working for me, to whom to I go? I have questions and need answers. There are a fair amount of people on this forum that have the answers I need. What's working for them may or may not work for me, but I still need to ask. I may not like the answer I get, but it's still helpful.

Personal attacks? Yep, had those too. "How can you be so stupid as to believe that?" Well, I do believe that, but maybe someone can help me get smart. Is it a personal attack? Sounds like it, but maybe a swift kick is what I need to start getting squared away. A little courtesy may cushion the comments along the way and they don't actually say I'm stupid, but just maybe they're on to something that I need to get smart about. So to answer the subject line question: Is it just me?? Maybe, maybe not, but if it's true, then maybe I need to start listening to WHAT is being said instead of focusing on HOW it's being said.

I constantly evaluate what is being said and asking myself if I am really hearing what is said or is it what I think is being said. If I'm unsure, I'll ASK!~ because I'm being dumb and don't want to stay that way. :)

Stosh