Sit downs with parents

Sooooooo, When did Scouting become a job?

I remember doing it because I loved it. Not because dad was going to give me a car, or money.

Are we that materialistic that the boys always need a reward instead of the good feeling of a job well done.

What happens at 30 years old when a pay check isn't enough?

Just a thought

30 or 40 years ago my grandma offered me $50 (a giant amount) to learn to play the Star Spangled Banner, perfectly, using her favorite music, on the piano. It took me several months, but I got it down and earned the $50.

30 or 40 years later, it's the only thing I can play on the piano, much to my dismay.

Too much bribery is not a good thing, and this case seems to be pushing the boundaries of good taste, but on the other hand, I'm not against some clever bribery.

I do bribe my Cub Scouts to sell popcorn with prizes, fill up their sale sheets with marshmallow bows, and I even offered some small Toys R Us gift cards for boys who recruited more than 2 new boys. So, I guess I'm not above it either....

An interesting book on bribing for results, pertinent to this discussion...

"Punished By Rewards: The Trouble with Gold Stars, Incentive Plans, A's, Praise, and Other Bribes" by Alfie Kohn, 1999.

It's available at Amazon, or maybe at your local library.

I have a troop where my step son attends where the father is paying his son $50.00 per merit badge and $100.00 for Star, $200.00 for Life and $400.00 for Eagle.

If you don't like conflict - ignore it.

If you do, offer the Scout a higher price - $55/MB, $110/Star, $250/Life and $500/Eagle not to earn them and see what happens.

I have a troop where my step son attends where the father is paying his son $50.00 per merit badge and $100.00 for Star, $200.00 for Life and $400.00 for Eagle.

If you don't like conflict - ignore it.

If you do, offer the Scout a higher price - $55/MB, $110/Star, $250/Life and $500/Eagle not to earn them and see what happens.

That's only gonna cost ya $55!