BSA Listed in Top Five Highest CEO Salaries Study

Sadly I have sat on the Area Committee and have voted for Councils to be given a provisional charter, when it became clear that they were under performing.

As I'm sure you know a provisional charter is supposed to be a "Wake-Up Call" To the Council and a warning for that Council to get things heading in the right direction.

With holding money that a Council expects to have harms the Council.

Of course if 100 or 200 Councils were to fold the BSA would be harmed and harmed maybe to such an extent that it might never be able to make a come back.

But the likelihood of that happening? I'm guessing is about zero.

My guess is that we are going to see a lot more mergers, especially here in the NE. Where we have so many of the smaller Councils.

The money that Councils send to National are based on membership, not income. I haven't kept up with the membership numbers, but someone here in the forum posted recently that over the past, I'm not sure if they said five or ten years? We had seen a decline of over 15%. I think the number they said was 17%.

The number of people working in the National Office has been cut back. A good friend of mine who used to work there is now working as a SE.

Most of us will never have a job where we get paid $400,000.

But we only have to look at what some SE's are getting, to see that the guy at the top should be paid more.

Each of us has some idea what we think is fair.

Is it fair that a new DE in the area where I live starts out earning more that a new teacher working in the school district?

Is it fair that the Chemo Doctor who sees my wife charges $180.00 for an office visit (Sure the insurance company only pays $120.00) and he schedules a visit every 15 minutes?

As far as I know I don't think I have ever met Mr. Mazucca, even though for a while he worked just down the road.

My hope is that he can do something to stop the decline in membership.

I know that some people think that he is going to mess up and will end up throwing the baby out with the bath water. I pray that this just isn't so.

Eamonn.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BadenP....

As a former pro, I can tell you that local councils recieve ZERO funds from national, in fact local councils have to pay National for the privilage to use BSA's trademark, everything that comes from National local councils have to pay for, brochures, billboards, applications. EVERYTHING. Why do you think councils merge? Its because they aren't raising the money. If you are concerned with where your FOS dollars go, ask to see a copy of your councils budget, its not a secret. And when you read the portion on salaries, keep in mind that covers everyone from camp staff on up. No one is getting rich working for the Scouts, It would be great if more volunteers stepped up and did the work so we didn't need professionals, but thats not going to happen. Show me a volunteer that can raise $50,000, recruit 600 kids (each fall), and grow units by 2% (not to mention, supervise/run daycamps, run special events, etc) in their free time. Would LOVE to meet that person.

Eamonn,

Could the "decline" in membership stats actually be because our membership stats are not being inflated anymore? It's been reported that several councils have inflated their membership stats, which led to a new method of verifying membership. According to the news reports as much as 1/3 of their membership was inflated.