No, I don't see it that way. The point they were trying to make was that the leader of the alleged terrorists was a Boy Scout as a youth, and that now he's acting in a decidedly non-Scoutlike way. The whole setup was clunky and didn't work narratively, but it wasn't a slam on scouts.

I took it as a terrorist is the antithesis of a Boy Scout. Not too bad a light for Scouts to be cast in. :-)

First of all, Takeaway is not an NPR production. It's a production of PRI, Public Radio International. If you listen to their stuff at all, they are 4-5 notches further to the liberal side than mainline NPR.

I used to listen to PRI stuff, I don't anymore.

I'm listening to this story right now. I think the opening was just off the wall. I think part of what I heard was that "outdoors people are pro-firearm people." Cabelas, Bass Pro types.

My local NPR stations do not use this show, and I am glad they do not.

I was a stupid, ham-handed attempt at a clever intro. But as I listened to the story, I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop, that these guys are all Scouts, that they do their training under the guise of a Venture crew, or something like that. How many other listners assumed the same thing? But how many of them took the time, as I have now done, to go back and read the news coverage out of Raleigh and even the original indictment to learn there's no connection between these bozos and Scouting.

So do what I just did. Click the "contact us" link at the top of the Takeaway homepage and complain about it.

I agree it was a little clunky and confusing (due to the recitation of part of the Scout Law at the very beginning), but I think they then made it clear that they were contrasting these peoples' behavior with that of Boy Scouts. "They're apparently nothing like Boy Scouts." Isn't that pretty clear? I heard nothing negative about the Boy Scouts at all.

Hopefully no one will really pay attention to the CNN transcript where the wife says that the everything was boy scout related. Unfortunately the guy was registered for a time with one of the NC councils. We all know that what was going on was WAY beyond G2SS and has nothing to do with the movement. BUT you have folks out there who don't know better.