new Scout handbook info from PTC

Posting from PTC (love the wireless!!) and just had a chance to browse through the new Scout handbook (2009 edition).

A couple of things I noticed (not sure if all are new):

- troop webmaster and LNT trainer are now valid POR's for Star and Life advancement (not Eagle). Picture of Webmaster POR patch in book.

- new Tenderfoot requirement: Using the EDGE method, teach someone else the joining knot.

- new Star requirement: Using the EDGE method, teach XXX requirement XXX from list for 2nd or 1st class.

- requirements in effect on 1/1/2010

Anyone want me to check for anything?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tomorrow morning, I'm sure the kids will want to sleep! They're dragging already from all fun...

After that, maybe some geocaching in the area since we have a car or perhaps a hike to somewhere the kids have been but I haven't!

In the afternoon, my wife's signed us up for the bus tour of Cimarron and parts unknown.

Since we have 4 nights in Santa Fe once the conference is over, we'll have plenty of time there to travel out to Taos and that area.

Can't say enough about PTC, by the way. For this being the 1st week of the season, things are running amazingly smoothly and the staff is phenomenal. Looks like we might get our first drops of rain this afternoon, but love the breeze / wind! Nice and cool.

Back to class...

John-in-KC-

Monday was cobbler (yum!) and the Wanna Be Band.

Tuesday is Western night with branding and dancing.

Wednesday is Follow Me Boys.

Thursday ... more cobbler and maybe the back in action. (I'll be missing that since I'll be camping out with my 10 year old).

The whole Philmont experience is really kicking in here...lots of discussing and sharing. Unlike in previous years, they're mixing the conference targets together each week (Scouts, Cubs, Varsity, OA, Commish on site at the same time). So you get a whole lot of diverse backgrounds and current positions represented. A real nice spirit.

Hal-

As they say on my son's favorite show, that myth is "busted!". There is NO addition to Star remotely relating to Wilderness anything.

In fact, after I posted this morning, the Quartermaster handed out a single page sheet of all the requirement changes for all ranks. It basically covered what I said before with a few more. I left it in the classroom, but in general they are:

- for 2nd class, a requirment to earn and save some money (a throwback to some of the early requirements)

- for T-2-1, in addition to living the Oath and Law, give 4 specific examples of how you've done so for each rank.

- an LNT item or two for 2nd and 1st class.

Other than that, nothing else that I'd call earth-shaking.

Thanks for busting that myth. It sounded screwy to me for a number of reasons and it is good to hear from a reliable source that it 'taint so.

How about this for the LNT requirement?

-Show evidence that you have left no trace.

I am surprised that we have not yet seen flames about the EDGE requirements.

Hal

[sarcasm]

Glad to see they are really drawing in those future business managers with the new EDGE requirements.

[/sarcasm]

Actually glad to see the LNT requirements. Even though LNT doesn't fit in the conservative lexicon very well, it is a key to preserving the very laboratory we use to develop the best kinds of citizens.

I wish they could also figure out some fun/adventurous requirements to add too.(This message has been edited by gernblansten)

Al,

Thanks. The two times I've been to PTC, I've tooled belts for myself and for EagleSon. That means a good chunk of Monday eve and Wednesday is at the craft center :) . Last year one of the horse wranglers worked the branding irons at East City. A quiet young woman, I recall.

Enjoy the day today!

Hal_Crawford writes:

Thanks for busting that myth. It sounded screwy to me for a number of reasons and it is good to hear from a reliable source that it 'taint so.

Yeah, why should a Boy Scout know wilderness first aid [WFA] if any couch potato cupcake can earn Eagle Scout without ever walking into the woods with a pack on his back?

Management is "modern" and applied outdoor skills are "old-fashioned!"

Hal_Crawford writes:

I am surprised that we have not yet seen flames about the EDGE requirements.

GernBlansten covered that base with stunning foresight on May 18th:

Absolutely absurd. WFA is way to outdoorsy for the new BSA. Now if you floated a rumor that a Star scout take a course in management styles or E.D.G.E, I might believe it.

http://www.scouter.com/forums/viewThread.asp?threadID=239862&p=1