An impromptu Tenderfoot Day

Yesterday was a beautiful Saturday here in South Carolina. Almost all of our new Scouts have completed all the requirements for Tenderfoot, but some still needed the 30 day retest for fitness. We have a Court of Honor coming up just before we leave for summer camp.

So, we put together a Tenderfoot fitness day yesterday at the church. Any guys that wanted to could come and do their retest. One of the Troop Guides and our SPL were there to work with the new guys. Several ASMs were there along with our Advancement Chair. I was rather surprised at the turn out. Not only did the guys do the fitness retest, but some practiced knots and flag folding.

One guy that just joined our troop a couple of weeks ago is an eighth grader. Very eager to learn, but worried about being treated like the younger new guys. SPL spent the most time with him individually working on the Tenderfoot requirements. Being a bit older, new Scout breezed through the stuff and was very excited about showing me what he learned. We talked for a bit and let him know about another boy in our Troop that joined when he was 13. Talked about how advancement will come if he works hard, but age and maturity will open doors to adventure for him too. Three years later, that now 16 year old is a soon to be Life Scout, been hiking and camping with his buddies without adults, and working his 2nd summer at camp. Mom tells me that older new scout is really excited about scouting now and can't wait for summer camp.

Another new Scout brought along a friend to check us out. Love that peer recruiting.

Figured since we were there, I'd go ahead and do SM Conferences for those that were ready. I really enjoyed that. Lovely day to sit on a bench under a tree and chat with the new guys.

All said they were having a good time in the Troop. All said they liked the patrol they were in and the guys in it. Most mentioned on their own that they thought their Troop Guide was cool. All seemed nervous and few made eye contact with me. By the end of the conference each and every boy was smiling, laughing, and actually looking at me. Yay!

The best part was some of the things the boys said. The guys in the patrol that burnt their breakfast on the last campout all had something to say about that. They made comments about how it was neat that their parents aren't telling them what to do anymore, but it is also hard. The older guys are cool. Some expressed concern that they aren't ready to go on a hike on their own without adults. The senior scouts did just that last spring and I guess the new guys think we're going to turn them loose before they are ready. They were excited about summer camp coming up and other things we're doing this summer. Some asked what else we are doing this year which led to a brief chat about the annual planning meeting. Big eyes and smiles when they learned that THEY get to plan what they do, not the adults.

I was struck by their honesty. In some cases, their answers led me to realize I need to work with one of the Troop Guides a bit more.

If the scout was OK with it, I asked one of our new ASMs to sit in and observe the conference. That way, the new ASM could learn what the conferences were supposed to be about and will be able to help me out in the future. I still like to do the SM conferences myself, but with 24 boys now in the Troop I can see times when I'll have to delegate that responsibility. Yep, most of those new ASMs thought the SM Conference was supposed to be a retest.

A very pleasant day. I've been a bit tired recently and this was just the rejuvenation I needed.

To borrow a phrase, I just love this Scouting Stuff.

We have a 15 year old who just made Tenderfoot. He joined when he was 11 but lost interest after a few months. He suddenly showed up a few months ago and rejoined just before the new scouts crossed into the troop.

He decided that he wanted to go on our high adventure trek this summer but he has to be First Class. He had done a number of requirements and earned swimming MB before he dropped out but still has a lot of work ahead.

This weekend we went on a shakedown and the other scouts would not let this guy rest. They drilled him on requirements on the two hour drive to the trail head. The crew chief said "you need to learn map and compass so you are the navigator". End of the outing the crew chief reported that the scout should be ready for SMC for Second Class at this week's meeting.

Most of these guys joined at the same time and it is great to see the Star and Life Scouts make the commitment to get the prodigal scout to 1C so he can be part of the crew.

A couple more weeks and one more shakedown and this guy will be 1C and good to go. Like GWD's story, it just struck me as the way Scouting is supposed to be. I am really proud of these guys.

On top of it all, it was a beautiful weekend in the woods of West Virginia and the crew ran like well oiled machine. OK, we did get lost once or twice but that was because an adult got turned around and convinced them they were going the wrong way... a learning experience about trusting your map and compass more than a local "expert". Course my muscles are still feeling the extra ridge we had to cross but it was worth it. Life is good.

Hal

What an amazing night last night. All the Tenderfoot guys showed up in full uniform for their Boards of Review. Advancement Chair called in all the adults and we had three boards going on simultaneously. Seven new Tenderfoot Scouts minted last night and three or four more for next week.

Each review board had an experienced person along with two newbies. I heard from each of the experienced scouters that the new folks really did a great job and enjoyed talking with the Scouts. Bodes very well for the future of our now good sized troop.

As far as I knew, the PLC didn't really have a plan for last night. Patrick is a Troop Guide but he was busy sitting for his Eagle SM Conference. So SPL gathered up the guys waiting their turn for a Tenderfoot Board of Review and had them outside doing something. Not sure what, but they were all looking through their handbooks so I suppose he was talking to them about 2nd and 1st class stuff.

Our other Troop Guide, our JASM, and the guys in the Dynamite Patrol had all the other new guys finishing up their Tenderfoot fitness requirements - for those guys that didn't come on Saturday. Practicing some other things too.

Had another new Scout join last night and sign up for summer camp.

What was I doing? Spending my time just talking to parents about summer camp coming up, congratulating guys after their Boards, hanging out having a really good evening.

Fun fun fun.