Hello I am new to scouting. I have been called as the committe chairperson in our LDS troop. I do not have boys so I am very new to scouting. I was a den leader for Cub Scouts about 6 years ago. This is going to be a learning experience and I am very glad to have found this forum

Eunice

Let me add my Welcome! to the chorus.

There are lots of folks here who are just troves of knowledge about scouting. I hope you'll find us to be a helpful lot and I look forward to hearing about how things are going for you and your pack.

Yours in Scouting,

Lisa

Yah, hi there keneunice! Welcome back to Scouting!

Your first assignments as CC are:

1) Take the Boy Scout New Leader Essentials training on-line.

2) Take the youth protection training on-line.

3) Check with your district/council on when you might take the troop committee challenge training.

4) Strongly consider buying a uniform for yourself to be a good example to the leaders and kids.

5) Find out who your "unit commissioner" is for the troop and meet with him/her. They're the person from the district assigned to provide service to your troop.

6) Find out who the Chartered Organization Representative is for your ward/stake. Meet informally with them, perhaps along with your bishop, to learn about how your local LDS ward/stake uses the BSA program as part of its young mens program. The COR is the real "boss"... you work for him, and owe him your full loyalty.

7) Meet with all the scout leaders informally to get to know them.

8) Meet with all the committee members informally to get to know them. Get a sense for their strengths, so you know where they may be most useful.

9) Visit a couple of meetings, see things in operation, chat with parents.

10) Plan to get out on one campout to see things "in the field."

All of this is just "familiarization", eh? Get to know your people and your resources and the current state of your program, round 1.

Then come on back and let us know what you find, and we can suggest round 2!

I think youth ministry in Scoutin' is one of God's great gifts to churches and young people. I hope yeh are able to support that important work for at least a few years. Stability helps! And I think you'll find it rewardin'.

Beavah