New national program sites

I'm sure many have seen the recent article in the New York Times discussing local concern over some issues related to the proposed site for future jamborees in Virginia.According to that article a rep from BSA stated that they may not be able to use that site for the next event in 2013.I'd suggest those who haven't seen the article read it for themselves.

Among other questions,a couple in particular come to mind:

If the 2013 jamboree can't be held at the proposed new site,what is the BSA's "Plan B"? As I understand they have been informed the current site will not be available after 2010.

Have there been similar local concerns raised over the proposed site for a new high adventure site in West Virginia?

I'd be very interested in more details,particularly from those in the vacinity of these two sites.

I do believe that in the past that the national jamborees kinda floated around the country. Why does it have to always be at the same site? There are other groups around the country that organize large groups of people to come temporarily to an area, why can't BSA contact some of these to find out what is being done and then just pick a spot or advertise for bids and have people compete for a site like the Olympics do. Surely myopic leadership isn't always the best course of action.

Of course there would be a bit more expected than a "Zip to Zap" approach to organizational needs, but there are plenty of organizations that know how this works.

Stosh