Flag Retirement Ceremonies

I am getting ready to hold flag retirement ceremonies with our Troop, the first I have personally planned, and I am planning on inviting some area cub scout packs as well as members of our church.

Here is what I'm trying to figure out... The ceremonies themselves shouldn't take all that long. I would like to be able to add something more to do for those in attendance to make it worth their time to attend and to make it more memorable. But I'm not sure of what other activities I can add... since it is a solemn occassion and I do not want to be disrespectful. I do not want to make the ceremonies longer... but would like to have additional hands-on activities of some kind... especially for the cubs. Any ideas?

Are you planning on burning the flags? If so, cut up some of the flags & pass out pieces for each person in attendance to place in the fire. Cutting them up by the stripes & starfield is a good idea. Before everyone does this, have someone read "Remember Me". I'll post it at the end. Have a bunch of hankies ready! We've done this and it is very emotional.

REMEMBER ME?

Some people call me Old Glory, others call me the Star Spangled Banner, but whatever they call me, I am YOUR Flag, the Flag of the United States of America....something has been bothering me, so I thought I might talk it over with you... because it is about you and me...

I remember when people would line up on both sides of the street to

watch a parade, and naturally, I was leading it, proudly waving in the

breeze. When your Daddy saw me coming, he immediately removed his hat

and placed it over his heart, up against his left shoulder....remember.

And you, I remember you. Standing there straight as a soldier, You

didn't have a hat, but you were giving the right salute...and remember

little sister? Not to be out done, she was saluting the same as you

with her right hand over her heart...remember?

What happened? I'm still the same old Flag. Oh, I have a few more

Stars since you were a boy. A lot more blood has been shed since those

parades of long ago.

But now, I don't feel as proud as I used to... When I come down your

street, you just stand there with your hands in your pockets, and I may get a small glance and then ; you look away. Then I see the little

children running around and shouting...they don't seem to know who I

am... I saw one man take his hat off., then look around, and when he

didn't see anybody with theirs off, he quickly put his back on...

Is it a sin to be patriotic anymore? Have you forgotten what I stand

for and where I've been?... Anzio, Guadalcanal, Korea, Vietnam, Kuwait and now Iraq. Take a look at the Memorial Honor Rolls of those who never came back in order to keep this Republic FREE. One Nation Under God...

When you salute me. you are actually saluting them.

Well, it won't be long before I'll be coming down your street again, so when you see me, stand straight, place your right hand over your heart, and I'll salute you, by waving back...and forth....and I'll know that..

YOU REMEMBERED!!!!

In our Troop, I probably manage most of the Flag Retirement Ceremonies.

The Scouts are now starting to pick & choose from what they have seen when it comes to Flag Retirements and run them on their own.

One of the main things I have tried to target was involving the Scouts that needed to participate in a Flag Ceremony for rank.

Tenderfoot #6

Demonstrate how to display, raise, lower, and fold the American flag.

2nd Class #3

Participate in a flag ceremony for your school, religious institution, chartered organization, community, or troop activity.

As a Veteran, I personally don't care for the "cutting ceremony", but I always ask whoever requested the ceremony what THEY want.

I also discuss briefly we are NOT "BURNING" the flag, but "RETIRING IT". So far I have not gotten the "call" from any parents about burning flags at an outing.

As long as the ceremony is RESPECTFUL, it will be fine.

http://www.ushistory.org/BETSY/flagcode.htm

Easy ways to get Scouts involved, have them do the pledge of allegiance in a "whisper".

If done in the dark around a campfire it's pretty dramatic.

If outside and you have a crowd, a rousing song or "multiple part" story is always good.

Create a "handing off" ceremony involving multiple Scouts (or Cubs) "IN UNIFORM" to transport each flag "to the retirement fire", is a cool way to involve young Scouts.

Unless we are in our own camp without guests, I try to use only Scouts in UNIFORM for ALL FLAG CEREMONIES. Even then I will give preference to Scout who puts his shirt.

Oh, don't forget to harvest the flag grommets, and distribute them sparingly at a later time for "service".

Disposing of the ashes in a dignified manner, is also appropriate.(This message has been edited by dg98adams)(This message has been edited by dg98adams)

Make it a history lesson as well. Cast around and find ( or buy for future use) to borrow a set of "historic " flags and perform a bit of a flag pageant. Let your talk be about the evolution of our flag. From "Don't Tread on Me" and the "Pine Tree" flag and the "Union Jack" flag to the 13 stars and 15 star and stripe (the Old Glory) flag, to the 38 star and 48 star flag, to the 50 Star. Which star is your state? Does that matter? Did the colors and design have any original symbolism? Has the symbolism changed? Is the "value" of the US flag innate, or does it depend on us and our perception of the ideals it represents?

When the old flags are to be 'retired', I hope you have a real campfire. Talk about the fires our GGGgrand parents gathered around and how they worked for the country we have today (not only in battle). I have seen this done to good effect: After the patiotic intro, the Scouts take the flag by it's corners and stretches it out between the fire and the audience. The light from the fire shines thru the flag. In one motion, they stretch the flag over the fire and throw the corners into the middle. Quick burn.

Next pair of Scouts step up, same routine. Do with each flag.

Sing some songs. Maybe a skit or two, if you can remember some that are not too unserious?

Have fun. Serve hot dogs before or after.

At this time I believe we will be having it in our church parking lot. Not as good as an out in the woods campfire but I believe if we have it elsewhere it will hurt our attendance.

So you don't think serving food would be tacky?

Do you think it would be ok to have a couple of stations for the cubs that are visiting? Like with a craft or something like that?

Our Troop has an elevated "bowl" for fires. Anything like that will work fine.

I would not serve food during and immediately right after out of respect for your ceremony. If this a campfire you don't want to use it for food after the ceremony (man-made materials from the flag deposits on the wood/ashes).

Sure, have a flag folding station, a flag game (maze, etc), and serve patriotic cup cakes/snow cones.

Just nothing during the ceremony.