Modern Money in a Troop

Yah, so it seems I'm on the modern kick, eh? I was really quite surprised by da parent thread, because I guess I'm an old fogey who still carries cash. Though I do like my new card that I can sort of wave at the scanner without even takin' out my wallet.

Now a question for the group. In this modern cashless and electronic age, what are your units or districts/councils doin' in terms of handlin' transactions?

Electronic bills / statements?

Online payment / fund transfers?

Credit card payments through PayPal?

Online Scout Accounts for da boys managed by the Troop Scribe?

Particularly since OGE (whom I consider a fellow old-timer) mentioned that he never writes checks anymore, I'm wonderin' how da "modern" troop gets and spends money.

Please share your great ideas as well as your experience with pitfalls!

Beavah

HA! Thanks for the good laugh, Beavah! I've found that the BSA is one of the more anachronistic organizations out there. Though, to be fair, lots of smaller non-profits as well as very large bureaucracies tend to be slow on the uptake when it comes to changes in technology.

In my council, it is still all about cash, checks, and credit cards. My council scout shop does take debit cards, but they still have the old double carbon receipts where you put the card on the metal plate, put the carbon paper on top, and slide the handle across it. I haven't seen one of those in a regular store in years...

Our troop does not have online accounts. Monthly camping trip payments are handled in paper form only (cash, check, or a printed/signed statement authorizing withdrawal from troop account). I'm awaiting the day when some young-ish parent of some new cross-over scout gives us a blank and bewildered look and asks for help filling out a check to pay us with.

We currently take cash, checks and payments from Scout accounts. When we sell popcorn, of the 35% we get back, the Scouts get 25% and the Troop gets 10%. The funds from Scout accounts are in the one checking account we have, and our Treasurer maintains ledger balances. We prefer using Scout accounts for payments, since it cuts down on transactions, making the Treasurer's job much easier.

Our new web package offers online payments as an option, using PayPal. We are looking at taking advantage of this, in a couple of ways. Parents could use it to add funds to their son's accounts. We could also use it to pay for Troop t-shirts, etc. The only drawback is Paypal charges 2 - 3% for the privilege.

Wow! If we could get automatic electronic payment arrangements life in the troop would be grand. Sign-up and at the end of the month moms sees what she was charged for that campout. In the mean time, just cut the troop a check for $1000 each January and in December we will settle the difference.

Maybe there is a business opportunity out there for an enterprising youngster to develop an arrangement where troops and non profits can conveniently accept credit card payments. The untapped growth in commercial credit for lemon aid stands car washes and beggers could be HUGE. :)

Our troop is still old-fashioned, but at least the council has taken a step forward.

The council has an online calendar with events listed that link into an online payment system. It's pretty convenient. The only part I don't like about it is that it seems whoever is setting up events gets to decide whether the online transaction surcharge is built-in to the overall price, or added on after the fact. I'd much rather it be built-in to the price.

Check it out at www.yccbsa.org (click on the menu in the upper right to get to the online calendary -- then choose to look at details for any event -- you'll see a connection to "DoubleKnot" which is the online payment system).

Guy

Bliss would be a mobile debit card reader to use at booth sales. Debit money right into an account with a date and time stamp. But then the girls would learn to make change. Sometimes the cynic in me wonders if they will actually need such a skill in the future or will it go the way of the slide rule?