Tough times w/ leaders and parents *sigh*

I was here a few years ago for advice on a tangled situation with a COR / SM conflict over religion (we ended up changing COs, getting a new troop number and keeping all the same boys and families - it worked out).

Scouting has gone great for our boy - he's grown up to be a good kid, made close friendships in his troop and worked hard - just about to start the actual project for his Eagle rank after finishing all MBs, will be fifteen this Spring.

But our troop continues to struggle. Our former SM's son is about to top out, almost done with Eagle and the SM is bowing out with some health issues. He was great, we miss him. New SM is way busier at work, sometimes can't make it to meetings, and his own son is losing interest in Scouting over football and cars. I feel for the new SM - he's made a commitment to our Scouts, but how hard is it to give up so much time and not see your own son participate? The boys miss the leadership.We need more ASMs - but the newer families are not stepping up - too many other priorities, siblings, etc. We might end up with no SM at summer camp, so our Scouts may have to go as Provisional Scouts in some random troop! To top it off, our great and faithful CC is moving out of state. His son is off to college and he is starting a new life. The parents miss the leadership. No one is willing to step in to the position. It's sad. I think the writing is on the wall - our troop is a microcosm of the challenges Scouting faces everywhere. I think eventually our town will only have a handful of troops - all the small ones like ours will fade and only the biggest ones will make it. Every troop offers something different, so it will be a loss.

As an active scouter with no kids int he program yet, I can tell you it's very difficult to give up the time. I've missed some great weekends with my kids, and missed some storytimes before bedtime. I've had arguments with the wife over to many activities/ meetings. I've had to say no to activities I've been asked to participate, and I've had to use other leaders to run activities. And yes I've asked several folks to take my place as OA adviser, especially since my oldest will be joining CS in the summer and I plan on being a unti leader with his pack, and unable to find a repalcement. It's challenging.

there are a variety of ways of handling this situation. The easiest being to fold the troop, but who would that hurt? There are variety of ways of recruiting leaders, from the book to adapting to your specific circumstances.

My recommendation is to have a meeting with just the adults: parents, committee, ASMs, and SM. Discuss what's going on and have it so that every leader takes a little responsibility.

How about asking the SM if he can handle the CC position? A lot of the work happens as the CC's schedule permits, making it more flexible than being SM. Then, it's time to find a new SM. BSA has a recommended method that I have actually seen work. What follows is a very brief summary, I'm sure your DE or Unit Commissioner can find the detailed description in BSA literature.

Establish a search committee, hopefully consisting of the IH, COR, current SM and a couple of concerned adults from the troop. Come up with a list of criteria specific to your troop's characteristics. Then sit down and discuss all possible adult candidates, drawing from both the troop's and the CO's membership (after all, it's the CO's troop). Narrow the list down to half a dozen and rank them 1-6.

The search committee contacts the number 1 candidate and arranges a meeting to discuss "an important issue related to the youth program" being offered by the CO. Explain the situation, describe the position, then tell the candidate that the search committee has identified him/her as the very best possible person to take on the role of SM.

Repeat as necessary, remembering that each new candidate is now the very best possible person to take on the role of SM. When someone says "yes", arrange a brief investiture ceremony (maybe during a COH) and away you go.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!(This message has been edited by CubsRgr8)

Your situation sounds very similar to what my son's unit was facing when we crossed over. There was lots of turnover/churn in adult leadership for that first year. A few parents would agree to take temporary leadership roles just to keep the troop alive, but we really didn't have one take the reins. Even I didn't want to commit to it, fearing being sucked into a black hole of unsupported problems. Nobody wanted to own the problem.

Finally, the next year, a father/son transferred into our unit and dad took the SM position with full commitment. That caused several others of us to step in with full commitment. The troop turned around and started growing again.

Sometimes it just takes one committed adult to get others to pitch in.

If your current SM is okay with it, you could go to Roundtable and put out the word that you are look for a new SM.

Of course, if you bring in an "outsider", make sure you interview him properly to make sure he's a good fit for the troop, and ask for references. If he's offered the position, makes sure he fills out a new application form (even if he says he's already a registered leader). Although it's rare, there are some characters out there who've got an arrest record they're hiding from and somehow manage to avoid filling out an application for a long time. When they finally get caught, they move on to another troop. Don't let somebody like that even get a foot in the door with your troop.

A few years ago our troop got a new SM simply by the old SM "appointing" somebody he'd met at Roundtable. He just showed up one day and announced "this is your new Scoutmaster". I would not recommend this. The whole troop committee should be consulted along with the CO rep.

Also, in our pack one year the CC showed up one day and said "this is your new Cubmaster". That backfired on her later, as now the two don't get along too well.

Anyway, good luck. I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet if I was you. These seem like fairly common issues you're dealing with and it could be much worse.

I'll second Scouter760's idea of going to roundtable and requesting support. The troop from the local military base a couple years ago had a committee person come to roundtable and say all the unit's leaders were deployed. They needed the same sort of help you need, temporary to long term SM's. Use experienced scouters to aid and teach the new leaders. I bet you will get a half an arm raised from within your troop if you arrange to have an experienced SM leading and showing the way. See if you can get a SM to stay for one year, cross-over to cross-over.

I wish all the best in your endeavour.