I took the plunge! I started my tenure as our Troop SM in January. We are getting 33 new scouts (3 patrols) adding to our current 50, going from 3 recruited last year! Eventhough the new scouts have not joined and yet we now have 2 fully active committee members along with 16 of 22 committee positions filled (including a new CC) and 3 new ASMs who are taking the Scoutmaster training this coming week.

This is coming together and I am starting to feel the effects of this job! It is truly 1 hour a week per scout!

Get everyone ready Onehour, that is an overwhelming number. I learned to pull in all the parents as well as scouts and prepare them for the challenge. It is a good challenge but you need to ask for their patience as you guys are going to have to do a lot of changes to make it work, at least for a few months. As you get your feet under you again, then you can get back to normal. But if you, the adults and especially the scouts aren't ready the first meeting, everyone will wonder if it is all worth it.

We got 33 new scouts our first year and lost half of them by summer camp because we we learning as we went. We got 35 new scouts the next year and kept 75 percent of them and we kept 95 percent jsut about every year after that. We made a lot of mistakes, but learned quickly and changed.

Have the appearence of a plan for the new guys so that when they walk in, you and the SPL can Knowingly guide them to their spot where they are met with open arms from the other scouts. Don't let new guys mingle by themselves very long. That is when your PLC will start to loose control. Its going to be loud and kind of crazy. The old scouts need to show patience and kindness. It will feel better after the third meeting. When the parents have questions, be attentive, and understanding. Also be up front, "this is new for us too, but we will get there". Its a good problem, you just need to get ready. At least you have 50 scouts to help. We only had 12 our first time. Shesh.

Good luck and we are here if you have any questions.

Barry

Barry and all,

Thanks, We had our new parents meeting this past Monday. 28 out of 33 showed up. I showed them the program and what it is all about. That's how we were able to fill in 10 blank spaces on our job! Btw, one pack had their AoL crossover this past weekend and the other is this coming weekend! To have this many folks excited about scouting is a very good thing!Good thing about this is that I have know 1/2 of these folks for the past 5 years with my association with the Packs.

I targeted 3 new ASMs specifically from this group. I will have 3 existing ASMs to help them coach the new ones. The large influx is not new to us. Since we joined the troop 6 years ago, we have had 12-20+ boys joining the troop each year, except for last year. The Troop Guides are lined up and readied.

I can't use the "it's new to us" line. I have been with the troop for 5 years (last year - I took a breather). So they all know me and what I do.

This is exciting, indeed!(This message has been edited by OneHour)

OneHour,

Question for you. When did you have your New Parent meeting? Was during a regular meeting? During/before/after a committee meeting? On a different night?

We have a weak committee, and we would like to get more involvement, especially from the new crossovers (not your numbers, but a healthy crop this year). Inquiring minds want to know.....

Skipper,

We had our new parents orientation last Monday during the regular scout meeting. Their boys go off with the Troop and the parents stayed with me and our CC. We laid out and went through the program. Everyone has a "package" that contains the information including 1 adult app and 1 boy app. Last part, our CC went through the available positions (with the amount of time expected) and told them that he has the list and will be sitting at the corner table. Come sign up for a position or two.

In other words, there wasn't much of a choice to say no. This was not done before during the years that I have been with the troop. It has always been ... "uhhhhh, please consider volunteering, we need help." This method never works.

Also, one of the requirements of the parents for me to take on the Scoutmaster position is that the Committee will help! The way that I see it ... I didn't have a choice in terms of volunteering when my sons signed up for baseball, soccer, or basketball. They simply say this is your position, good luck! This is exactly the same! Of course there is a lot of "selling" to inspire them! That's where the SM and CC come in!

As I mentioned, we even have 2 new committee members joined the committee meeting this week and their sons haven't even crossed over! Now, that's eagerness.

As for new ASMs, I researched and talked to various parents in the two packs to see who has the best personality with the boys. I talked to each separately (separating each from the herd ;) ) and sold them the program and asked them to sign up for the SM training! I have plenty of experience of hook, line, and sinker folks when I was the Cubmaster for one of the packs.(This message has been edited by OneHour)