Question About Leader Honesty

I think this is a self-esteem thing, not so much a real issue of deeper dishonesty or predatory behavior. (Not that'd I'd be willing to bet my professional reputation on that, mind you.)

Yah, question is whether you're willin' to bet somebody else's kid on it, eh? All predators come across as really nice people who are good with kids... with maybe just a few of those naggin' doubts in people's minds.

You know, naggin' doubts like you've got.

There's plenty of folks who are into resume padding and puffery, eh? We've even seen some really amazin' scandals, where folks without credentials really had been doin' the job very well for a decade or more. But folks who are puffin' because they need a job to feed their family is one thing; folks who are puffin' to be perceived as a trusted fellow in a youth program is another.

Eternal vigilance.

Beavah

If memory serves, it wuld take a few days to verify soemone was an Eagle via national. It was run through NESA, and they needed council number (although name and HQ city or state worked), unit and year. If you know anyone with the new NESA book, you may be able to use that. Grant you the book is not 100% correct, I know a young man who is a Lifetime member, but was not listed int he book, but it's also a good authoritative start.

"Trust your feelings, Luke" You got a nagging doubt, you do need to act on it.

Dan,

Greetings!

My friends joke about my shirt looking like my shirt being similar to a "Field General". I joke back stating, "Hey, most of these are training knots. If your trained, and the boys are advancing, the knot requirements are almost done."

I have met a few Scouters friends that make my training achievements appear minor. They kinda walk around humble, but you can see an halo of Scouting around them.

Still I have a few friends that have some prestigious Scouting accomplishments and recognitions. Though they don't seem to know too much about Scouting, they are willing to learn and read about advancement requirements and current policies.

There are some Scouts out there whom have earned some unique and prestigious recognitions; but it just didn't have the significance to them. Possibly, his achievements and recognitions just are not or were not memorable to him. Their achievement and subsequent recognition, just didn't have the same value that we may place on those achievements.

Some Scouters. Whom these recognitions just were not memorable, may not share a common knowledge of Scouting or a recollection of their own participation. It may have been a foggy haze, and they may need to be reminded about what they experienced. (i.e. Wood Badge for the 21st Century final lesson is where they "tie in" the events of the week to the five principles. Some students may enjoy them as separate leadership skills, but not seeing them as building upon each other or a tiered approach to reinforce newly learned skills).

For example. Some Arrowman see their Ordeal as an honor, opening the door into leading their troop, and serving their fellow Scouts, they are truly excited about it. Some other Arrowman see their Ordeal as a day of work, glad its over, what's next, and when can they attend the ice cream social.

So, skipping past your questions 1 and 2, and cutting directly to question 3. If he is trained and doing a good job as a Den Leader, I would just accept his recognitions. Probably take it, that his recognitions just didn't have the same significance to him, as others value them. Possibly, it just wasn't that memorable.

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

I would have to say if I knew a leader was posing, I would be upset.

When I returned to scouting last year, i knew what I did do and what I hadn't. I knew that I had gone through my ordeal. I talked with one of my chapters advisors, and told him that i had that following.

OA Ordeal Sash (Grimey from Service)

My Book with the dates written in it, (not in my writing, my hand writing has never been that good)

And some lodge flaps

I also talked about some of the things that I did for my ordeal (This was before they gave you the egg hard boiled) and asked if there was anything else that I needed to rejoin the order. He told me that he felt that was enough and I just needed to get my membership and dues paid. Since then I have helped out with several things and been to the Fall Festival.

Now granted I still have to relearn a few things, but I have told them that honestly.

As for eagle, I never made it and would never say I did. I hold that award to high to fake that. Much like a combat award that I earned, I hate fakes. (On that note, I would like to get one of my leaders his square knot for his new uniform, he doesn't knnow it, and I would like to give it to him at the next pack meeting, do you think they would help me at the Scout Shop if I give them a name)

I have no room for fakes and frauds, but there are times that you must pick your battles.

I'm with Beavah.

There are people who rely on the 'not my responsibility, no-one else is worrying, what if my intuition is wrong, some-one else has probably checked, I'm the only one who thinks this etc etc"

If the idea niggles then put it to rest - humanely of course, and this does not even need to be known to him I'm guessing...because if your intuition is right....