Tax Deductions for Scouting Expenses

Yah, packsaddle in da parent thread seemed astonished by the deductibility of scoutin' expenses. Since tax season is just startin', it's worth perhaps remindin' folks of what they can deduct.

Best guide out there was put together by Tom Turba, an accountant and tax professional and scouter. Tom's been kind enough to keep it up to date for the scoutin' community. Here's a link to what I think is da most recent:

http://www.troop957.com/docs/misc/Scouting-and-Taxes-Apr08.pdf

I have not personally vetted this document, so as with all things exercise your own due diligence. Previous versions I found to be quite accurate.

Perhaps da rest of this thread our accountant members can use to give additional insight or answer questions?

Beavah

As a CPA with a Tax Practice that link has good info.

Other sources are IRS Publication 17: Your Federal Income Tax or Publication 526: Charitable Deductions explains what can be deducted such as uniforms, mileage etc.

With any advice concerning tax deductions always check with your tax advisor or preparer as to what applies in your specific case.

Edited part: That is very important as you and your preparer are signing the tax return as to your knowledge its true,correct and complete. Not Mr. Turba,myself or anyone else you get advice from.(This message has been edited by ljnrsu)

Hi Jack!!

This reminds me of an accountant joke.

Just prior to our invasion of Iraq in 2003, Saddam Hussein offered to renew the inspections for WMD. He would open up all sites and have no restrictions. He had only one condition. He wanted Arthur Andersen to do the inspections.