troop committee changes

Wow, what a trip.

From my reading of the above,(anything to avoid house work)I think:

Bob White is correct: The "Official" BSA program is there for all to read and know and follow, and if you start with that, you can't go far wrong.

Beavah et al is/are correct: The CO makes the rules in THEIR situation, as they DO own the unit. The people involved ultimately are the ones that gotta do what they gotta do, because...

Bob the Tomato is correct: "It's for the kids" (Scouts in this case).

And 'Murphy' (of the Law) is correct: "The work that can get done will be done by whoever shows up".

In our Unit/District I happen to know that the predominant way of choosing leaders is to see who shows up and then train them, either "on the job" and or thru formal class.

My supervisor is correct: You can over manage the group. If all the workers are in agreement with the GOALS of the organization, and understand their responsibility in the heirarchy, then the best thing is to do is empower folks to do the best they can do. Familiar?

And, yes, unhappy customers do go to other "need providers". Frinstance, if your Cub Pack is attached to a Troop whose SM ASSUMES all your Webelos will automatically become HIS Scouts, then it is no surprise to anyone (except the SM!) when the Cub Pack thrives, the Webs cross over to OTHER STroops, and the Troop shrivels.

And Quality Circle Management is correct: Seek Consensus in Decisions, encourage creative responses to problems, and ultimately work toward the Organizations Goals.

F Scouter is correct: Some times the best leaders have no boy connection. My boy's CC has not had a Scout in the Troop for many years. Excellent organizer.

GW is correct: All our relationships with others and decisions are benefitted by applying the Scout Law and Promise.

And BP is correct: (fill in the blank with your favorite quote from G2S).

Thank you, one and all.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic