Scouting Spirit... From the Handbook

Our mission is to prepare boys to make ethical choices over their lifetimes. One way to prepare a boy is to let him make a few choices now while he's in Scouting and we can help. When he's 18, out of Scouting, and on his own he'll be the only one to judge whether he's living the Scout Oath and Law in his daily life. Now's a good time for him to start thinking about how he conducts himself every day.

I put together the compilation of what the Scouting Handbook says about Scouting Spirit a few years back when BobWhite first mentioned it. What is written in the Handbook is a far cry from what is generally regarded as Scout Spirit in many troops. I keep a few printed pages of what I posted in my portfolio so when scouters ask me about "scouting spirit" as an Advancement Committee member I show them this and ask how their policies and standards mesh with what is written.

Many rub their heads, they didnt know this was there, they ask me what they should do, I tell them whatever they think is right

"Is there not a middle ground between giving an award and sending him packing? Perhaps working with a scout to help him improve? And providing high expectations and the encouragement to meet them? "

Yes lots of middle grounds. Most infractions are handled by the boys among themselves. It has to be a fairly major offense to even come to the attention of an adult. Most of these seem to involve misuse of fuels, fighting that causes injury requiring first aid, and willful disobedience of buddy rules(ie storming out of camp alone and not returning). Most offenses are easily corrected but when offenses are repeated in our troop the matter is referred to the troop committee. They are basically the formally impartial dispensers of justice. The first time the boy is given a warning to not repeat. The second time his parent is requested to be at the meeting and stronger warning is issued. The third time the punishment is usually that the parent accompany the youth to every meeting and outing that the boy goes on for a period of time. Most of the time troublemakers will self correct either by changing their behavior or by leaving the troop. In the end though it is better to expel one bad apple than have the entire troop endangered by his actions.

Kudu

When I read the worksheet in your link I thought, "Sheesh, this guy is just trying to add to the requirements. Can't a reasonable adult or scout tell if they or someone else has Scout Spirit. This is just as bad as an attendance requirement."

Then I clicked on the link to the Introduction page and read that. I did a 180 turnaround. I'm a firm believer that self-discovery is the best educator and this exercise fits the bill.

It just goes to show you... How you implement the wording of a requirement are just as important as the words.