At our last Troop Committee meeting it was rumored that our current SM wished to step down. I as CC put him on the spot and asked him to confirm this and he did saying that he was hoping to be able to step down by Sept. 1. We have a paper CO with a COR that also seems to be in name only, although I feel this could be as much my fault as his since communication is a two way street.

As I'm researching who would be a good fit as a new SM several other adult leaders tell me that I should be the first choice. Right now I am dual registered as a CC and a UC; I also am an OA Ass. Chapter Advisor. I'm torn as to what is really best for the youth. If I were to accept the SM position I would likely step down as a UC. As a UC I could potentially help to make 3 units other than my own more successful subject to the wishes of those units. I belive that in a Troop the CC is almost as important as the SM, as the two should work as a team.

One of the ASM, a fellow committee member (he's also our ass. district comish.) and myself are signed up for WB this August/ September. If I change positions I should do so before I answer the 20 questions. I'm thinking that my ticket will be mostly position specific.

As the CC I've been on at least half of the outings our Troop has been on including summer camp last year. This Saturday we are leaving for summer camp again. The current SM and myself have worked to change the troop in the past year from adult led to youth led, which was one of my main concerns when I accepted the CC position. We still have a way to go in this but I think that is true in nearly every unit.

Sometime this week I will be contacting our COR and informing him and seeking his imput.

Well here a few random thoughts:

>>I'm torn as to what is really best for the youth.>If I were to accept the SM position I would likely step down as a UC.>I belive that in a Troop the CC is almost as important as the SM>If I change positions I should do so before I answer the 20 questions.>The current SM and myself have worked to change the troop in the past year from adult led to youth led, which was one of my main concerns when I accepted the CC position.

Ditto Eagledad,

Personal emphasis keys on his phrase, "If you cant replace you, it might be easier to find and train the SM." and your phrase "The current SM and myself have worked to change the troop in the past year from adult led to youth led, which was one of my main concerns when I accepted the CC position."

If you can't find a CC to replace yourself who can provide at least 80% of the support you've been giving your SM - you will probably do the other 20% anyway, even if you try not to - then you may want to keep that hat and continue the search for a new SM who has the vision the Scouts and you have for the Troop.

No one will have as much influence on continuing the Scouts move towards boy-led as the new SM. At least no one but the Scouts themselves. By taking this position as SM then you are in the best place to solidify their cultural shift and create customs and traditions that will keep them from being easily shifted back to adult-led. If this is important to you and you can find a trainable CC who will work with you this is a factor you may want to consider.

Third point.

Is the Troop in question more important to you than the three Troops you are UC'ing. Are you actually in a position to do more and have a bigger impact where you are?

Finally, now that we have dealt with head issues, what does your heart say about where you should be?

Think about Eagledad's posts and the questions above... you'll find it all shakes out.

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I'd give an update. While we were at Summer camp last week the current SM decided that he wished to remain in that position for the time being. This should be good for the boys of the Troop.

I was also able to further convince him to make more changes in the way we provide the program to the youth. Moving to meaningful Patrol Method. We are going to require the youth to stop using hot dogs and top ramen as a meal while camping. SM's other new requirement will be that on each weekend outing each Patrol will have to cook one dinner and one breakfast (for a 2 night outing only) in a dutch oven unless they are backpacking.

Onward I march working with the SM to bring the Scouting program to the youth. With him as SM, myself as CC and a collection of great ASM's I'll be able to also serve others as a Unit Comm. and OA Ass. Chapter Adv.

wow you are a busy man. I see 5 to 10 meetings a month for you. How much time is he wanting to hang around? This would be the perfect time to recruit a new SM or CC, which ever way you decide to go, and bring them in a an ASM or MC, and get them trained and ready for the job. That way, the transition will go pretty smooth. As a UC, one of my scoutmasters got a promotion that he was required to work second shift and weekends, and with on one weeks notice. No one in the troop wanted to step up and no one outside wanted it either, it is best to be prepared.

"I was also able to further convince him to make more changes in the way we provide the program to the youth. "

To? or With? or ????

Moving to meaningful Patrol Method. We are going to require the youth to stop using hot dogs and top ramen as a meal while camping. "

We? Meaning the CC & SM or the boys themselves?

"SM's other new requirement will be that on each weekend outing each Patrol will have to cook one dinner and one breakfast (for a 2 night outing only) in a dutch oven unless they are backpacking. "

Hmmm when do the boys get to make the decisions?

Best of luck on that last 20% it's the hardest... :^)

Stosh

Glad ya asked jblake47. Currently the troop camps with the Troop method and each meal is assigned to just one patrol. Now each Patrol will be responsible for the menu planning and cooking for each of their meals. The youth leadership has expressed their wishes to work as Patrols each meal rather than only one meal a day rotating. The point that really changed the SM's mind about this was when i explained how under the current system each Scout was missing at least 2/3 of his Scouting experience.

Hot dogs and top ramen have been a cop out menu for nearly evey campout. This is where the youth need guidance in nutrition and menu planning. The PLC agrees with us adults about this and are willing to help achive a better menu. Although the dutch oven idea is one of the SM I believe that it is another example of defining the boundries that the youth can operate in. Just as the requirement of a Tote-n-chip for knife handling. Even in a boy led troop there are always going to be some things beyond the youth's decision making. I for one am not a fan of dutch oven cooking and never have been but my responsibility is to support the SM and make sure the committee provides what is necessary for the program to function.

The boys do get to make most of the decisions as it now stands. By making these changes we are enabling the boys to make even more even though there are limits.

Deciding to become a scoutmaster is not the easiest decision, by far. I've been in your shoes and took the job. My "upbringing" was 1970's vintage Scouting. I had a solid core of ASMs from the same era. As much as we tried to steer the troop back to strong patrols and a functioning Leadership Corps, it just didn't happen.

Time, people, society, and technology have changed since BP penned that first manual. As much as "old timers" work, strive, and long for the "old" days, sometimes it doesn't work with the adults and youth present in the troop.

I would caution against the folks that believe that what was written in 1910 is gospel and work with what you have. Our responsibility as adults is not to make every young man the best patrol leader or senior patrol leader possible, but to challenge EVERY Scout to grow to THEIR best ability.