CPR Training / need information

We are haveing a person teach CPR to Scouts and adults, we are holding two sessions one in the morning and one in the afternoon. The afternoon session is a combo...CPR/First Aid. The instructure is using a RN help to teach the sessions. However the RN was going to take CPR because she indicated that she was not current with her certification, but is now going to assist. Do the instructers need to be current in CPR or if they have done it in the past and are not current, can they act as an instructors? Can't find the answer.

Eagle Foot

In order for someone to teach CPR and certify people, they must be certified as an instructor. This is true for either AHA or ARC. They can have only certain number of students to each instructor.

As for the assistant instructor, I do not know specifics, but I try to use certified instructors.

These are things that you may wabt to look into. If you ask an instructor, they should be able to give you answers. If they get defensive then they may be doing something that you did not want to know about.

I hope you understand what my babbling is about.

Yah, I reckon that this is one of those things yeh just leave up to da folks who are runnin' the course for you, eh? No point in micromanaging them.

IIRC, instructor cert. lasts longer than CPR cert. in some cases. So it's fairly ordinary for an instructor to assist with a class and also complete their recert at the same time, if another instructor is lead instructor on da class. Only time this doesn't work is when there's been a "major" change; in that case, all the instructors need to recert.

That's my aging memory of it, anyway. Personally, I think you'd be happy to have an RN assisting with your class and improvin' the student:instructor ratio, especially for first aid.

B

It really depends on what you are intending to do with this instruction. Do you intend to have the Scouts and adults come out of the session as "certified"? Or, do you simply want to fulfill the requirement for the First Aid MB (Identify the conditions that must exist before performing CPR on a person. Then demonstrate proper technique in performing CPR using a training device approved by your counselor)?

If you only intend to fulfill MB requirement #3b, then you should be OK.

If you intend to come out of the class certified in CPR, then at least one of your CPR instructors needs to have a current certification as a CPR instructor. As far as having a non-certified assistant, hopefully the main instructor knows that this is OK or he/she would make an effort to find a certified assistant. You could always ask the other instructor...

ASM59

She's going to assist in CPR because her certification is not current so she can't be the actual instructor. This does not mean she is not qualified, you are held to a higher strandard to instruct( I think you have to recert every yr?). Her training is also more intensive than a regular CPR class.(at least the original course) Her taking it the same as you may still not qualify her to teach but may just recertify her in CPR itself. As a health worker you have to requalify more often as well.

She could still assist (like a pahrmacy tech so to speak), but the certified instructor signs you off and overseas it is being done correctly. Does not mean she is not fine w/ all the other stuff.

After contacting the ARC [American Red Cross] training headquarters for the southern region. This is what they said;

In order to teach CPR using ARC training method you must be certified instructure. If you have an assistant training, they must be certified. Both must be certified as trainers.

The training ratio is 6/1... if the trainer has multiple years of experience then an allowance up to 8/1 ratio can be made. Most important if your Troop, Pack, Crew, or any organization is considering holding CPR training, make sure they present you their certification as a trainer before you go and set it all up. If not politely find someone else.

Rember... every Scout deserves to have a trained leader...

Yah, Eagle Foot, I think you're not understandin' something here.

I no longer teach for ARC, but when I did, it was common that certification as an instructor lasted longer than certification as a responder. This created da weird circumstance where you could be teachin' a class that you were no longer officially certified in. Happened all da time, just because folks didn't watch the dates. As an instructor, you could never sign your own card, eh?

So what was generally done was yeh co-taught a class and the other instructor signed you off at the end. This was normal, ordinary, and in no way affected the quality of instruction nor da validity of the certification.

That's why it's best not to micromanage da people who are givin' you their time, eh? And to be careful about quotin' rules at folks before yeh understand da system. I think what's probably goin' on is what I described. Even if not, I think it's a good sign that an instructor who's gonna be working with a bunch of kids brings in extra hands to help. Makes for a much better experience overall.

Beavah