Hello from the Heart of America!

Hello!

I am a long time lurker and recently a first time poster.

My family are all scouts and scouters. My sons are scouts or former scouts. My wife is a scouter. I was, until recently, a simple assistant scoutmaster in a small, tightly knit troop. I have never missed a meeting or campout (a sin of pride, I know). I am now a newly appointed COR (and MC).

As a newly appointed COR, I am a bit taken back by the job. I gave up my comfortable job as SA to be COR. SA was so easy- all of the responsibility and none of the authority, slogging thru the trenches with the guys and letting the SM take care of the politics.

I am a little alarmed by the CO and CCs confidence in my ability to perform as the COR. I am also very concerned about my ability to perform as COR given recent circumstance within the unit. In a perfect world, the former COR would have mentored me before the transition (a long story, 2400 words, 42 paragraphs). This avenue is closed to me. Instead, I spend hours researching, reading, and gathering printed material. I have, literally, stacks of stuff. I am a voracious reader.

Then I reacquainted myself with these forums. Honestly, yall have depressed the heck out of me concerning the position of COR. I have read too many posts along the lines of in most councils, the COR is a paper tiger. They seldom ever actually exercise their vote at an annual meeting. And there does not appear to be much interest by the professionals to see that they do. One post read something like (the COR) attended a District meeting and was asked by (a District member) why he was there?

COR sounds like a lot offun.

I have learned a lot of things reading thru the posts here. I hope those who have walked this trail before can help me out.

YIS