"wide game" for spring encampment

Good morning!

Our troop will be designing a wide game (this term is used to mean many different things - I'm talking about the sort of game where patrol sized groups travel from one point to another along varying routes to perform various activities that may or may not be scored) and our theme (so far) is "Be Prepared".

Ok, the theme needs work, of course. The rough idea is a set of stations where they will learn and practice skills for meeting plausible emergencies: simple first aid, pandemic, evacuation, sheltering from weather emergencies, etc. Maybe use the Red Cross "Get Ready" three steps and build theme around that?

Points awarded for knowing own contact information (because we'll have many younger participants)

Weather emergencies

Pandemic

Civil emergencies

Groups will be composed of ages 6-15ish and we're expecting up to 150 participants. The number of participants looks difficult to manage: that would make for 15 patrols if we made them as large as 10 persons. Is this size group too large to work effectively?

Some ideas I have so far:

Care for injured members: assisted walking, improvised stretchers, drag sealed envelope: youngest patrol member has a broken or sprained ankle for the duration of the game and must be assisted to travel from station to station (allowed normal participation during the stations?)

group will periodically report progress via 2-way radios (practice use of emergency communications)

increase the number of stations by including a couple stations "just for fun" - simple stunts & quick games

Map reading

Knot tying

Plant identification

Flag etiquette

Fire safety

Compass directions and pacing

Lashing

Ok, this is really very rough - we're just in the brain-storming stage now. I've gleaned just about everything I can from the web - including the PDF at classB.com which is great. Just looking for anyone here that has more advice to offer!

One question...should the stations be timed or untimed? I think it lends more to "the game" if patrols progress naturally through the course as challenges are met, and may mean letting others "play through". Maybe a time limit so a group doesn't get terribly bogged down?

The adult leaders are enormously concerned about schedules. gah. They'd like things to run like a schoolday. Part of the real fun of a wide game is the challenge in following clues or trails or maps to get from one place to another. How do we break through this mindset? Help!

Anne in Mpls

If one has 15 groups, there should be 15 activity stations. Shotgun start and every 10 minutes the bugler play a tune for everyone to advance to the next station. Otherwise there will be extra groups standing around each one waiting 10 minutes to start adding 10 minutes onto the total length of the activity. With 15 groups @ 10 minutes each gives one at least 150 minutes which is 2.5 hours. Adding on a group every 10 minutes would mean 3 groups add a half hour.

Groups of 10 are large and expect some to stand around. 9 people helping start a fire is a free-for-all as would 9 people tending to a sprained ankle.

With the theme Be Prepared, all a station would need is an adult to man it with instructions on what the scouts are supposed to do. If you can get 30 adults/scouts to run the stations you could cut your groups in half and double your stations. One would have 75 boys (5 boys per group) rotating in groups of 15 stations in two separate loops.

Do the boys have ropes to tie knots? If not they can't pass the station. Shoe laces etc. problem solving would come into play. Fire starting? Do they have matches? Do they have neckerchiefs for first aid? etc. The station does not need to provide any of this equipment if one sticks strictly to the theme that has been chosen.

Add stations that don't require equipment i.e. Explain the Buddy Sstem in light of the new requirements, Scout trivia, hiking knowledge, backpack packing, uniform inspection (Be Prepared, do they have a scout in full uniform?), etc.

Stosh

AnneinMpls,

Third post on "ALl things Pappy" are two examples of "Wide Games" we have conducted.

http://www.scouter.com/Forums/viewThread.asp?threadID=181186&p=1

We put a little time into making up the injured to look pretty graphically real. THis adds a lot of drama. Acting out an injury goes along way to making the event more fun and engaging for the boys.

Think about a downed power line scenario. THey run across bodies in wetr grass. Should they approach? Are they penalized if they do. YEs- they have been electrocuted.

Also- if you can swing it, a boy in a deep hole or canyon that needs to be pulled to rescue (right out of Follow Me Boys.) What knot should be used? Etc.

Getting a stretcher over a ravine with rope and cunning. That is fun too.

Also- do they know the symbols fro hazardous materials?? Barrels with these on them could be a part of the game. CHlorine Gas is a nice noxious substance. First aide on inhaling this?

Our Klondike had a really cool sceanrio- You are a boy scout patrol that happens upon a plane crash site! Help is over an hour away via helicopter. Lives are in peril if first aide and perhaps CPR are not performed NOW.

Good luck.

Pappy

This would be a great activity as it's an element of alpine climbing, and one that I would enjoy greatly doing....but, and a big but. You'll need to work with your Council's Climbing Director, or another BSA Climbing Director who is experienced in crevase, and/or high angle rescues for this one.....

Thanks everyone for your input!

I'm kinda in a bad place because I have to obtain buy-in from a bunch of adult leaders who think I'm a nutjob because I let girls light fires and climb trees.

Hmmm, think I need to have two more stations: one on lighting fires and one on tree climbing ;)

bwahahahaha.

Anne, instigating stuff in Mpls