Church on Sunday when camping?

"Yeh Bob! And that goes double for me!"

Just kidding Bob.

But GOld Winger, if you really are sincere about your expressed beliefs on this and other threads about offering burnt sacrifice, than power to you. I thought, as Bob does, that you are poking fun at other people's religion.

Bob was in the process of answering someone's question, and your post didn't seem to relate except in jest.

Pappy(This message has been edited by Pappy)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't realize that this was Bob's thread. Must have missed that memo. Let's see. Beaver, Pappy preaching, Bob being pedantic, moxie, wingnut, Oak Tree, Bob being pedantic again, Scout Nut, then me.

Ah, I can see why you thought it was Bob's thread. He answered twice.

As a practicing Roman Catholic, I make every effort to attend Mass and fulfill my obligation. I very rarely if ever miss going to Mass either on Saturday evening or on Sunday.

I do remind all of our Scouts about going to church over the weekend and invite the RC Scouts to tag along with me.

If for some reason we are unable to make a service over a weekend activity, we are fortunate that we live close enough to the local Cathedral where there is an evening Mass on Sunday.

The RC Scouts do know about this and depending on what time we arrive home, they can if we are home in the afternoon make their own arrangements or if we are running late I'll offer to give them a ride.

At this time the Ship doesn't have any Scouts who belong to what might be called out of the ordinary religions.

A lot of times some of the non -catholic Scouts will opt to attend mass with us.

I'm not sure if the fact that I normally stop and bet a bite to eat after Mass has anything to do with this?

Back when I was Scouting in London the Troop was a lot bigger and the Scouts belonged to a good many different religions. It wasn't always possible to accommodate the religious needs of everyone. The Scouts and their parents were aware of this and they decided what they wanted to do or not do. I and the Troop of course respected their wishes.

When OJ was a Boy Scout if he participated in an event that meant that he missed Mass, we would go to the Sunday evening service, of course when he was older and could drive himself things were easier. Being that we live in an area where a lot of people have Italian or Polish roots, most of the time Mass or getting the Scouts to Mass was included in the program. I would hope that Troops where a lot of the Scouts do belong to certain religion would have adults who also belong to that religion and the programs offered would allow for this.

Eamonn

This is an issue that comes up from time to time in our troop, although at present most of the scouts in the troop are some type of Christian so the diversity of religious obligations is a little bit less complex. We do have many Catholic scouts and families. The troop typically leaves on Friday evening and returns from a camp out on Sunday mid-morning or early afternoon (depending on where we're going). Most camp outs are within an hour or so of "home base." So the standard practice has been that if a boy's parents wish to retrieve him early in order to make it to Sunday morning services, then they are welcome to do that. Some do, some don't, only one recently has attempted to tell the troop they ought to change their habits in order to accommodate her family schedule. And that is unlikely to happen. Troop leaders do not take the kids to religious services, other than their own kids. It seems to work for us.

This might be different for a unit whose CO is a religious organization. For us, our CO is a service club and they have no specific religious leanings.

GW - I thought elsewhere you said you were Orthodox? Greek or Russian? (I had no idea either of them roasted rams...learn new things every day, right?)

Bob,

To answer your questions:

Since the Troop in question liked the boys to use Troop Tents he would share a tent with another Scout or two due to a lack of tents. As we were given a hard time about this, he began sleeping under the stars when possible or bringing his own tent. The dining fly is a big job to put up and take down and they could have used my height and my son's height to help with this task. Taking it down the night before was not an option for the rest of the leaders. So the bottom line is that when applicable he does take down his own tent. He cleans up and takes home any of his own dishes/mess kit. He is even known for starting what had become tradition in the Troop of a "night before tear-down" policing of the area for litter. He saw this as a way of doing his part. He would pick up litter that was in the site and even garbage that others left under the dining fly. Patrol cooking gear is typically put away each day, but the actuall patrol box was left out for breakfast in the morning.

ASM59

My son and I research the area where he is going to and locate the nearest Catholic churches and find their schedules. It is a valuable lesson of the trip: we see and experience many different variations of Catholic Masses and congregations.

If I'm going camping with him, we let the Patrol/Troop know in advance that we will be leaving for X hours at X time on Sat PM or Sun AM (and then returning to the camp). That way the PL / SPL can plan the duty roster accordingly.

If I'm not going along, then he typically has no way, in practicality, to attend a Mass except by going to a local-area church that has a late Sunday Mass.

We always attend the Masses in full uniform.