Greetings, Camping Program

Greetings, I am new to the forum and looking forward to communicating with you all and reading the forums. As it happens, I am an Asst. Scoutmaster in the Troop that both of my sons belong to in Chino, and my oldest was recently elected SPL. Our Troop has gotten into a bit of a rut car camping, and I am trying to get some different ideas for a campout program that is inclusive of the whole group (not just favoring the younger scouts). As a sidenote, I am also getting trained and recruiting other adults to get trained in the scout leader backpacking courses to try to keep some of the older boys interested.

(I am really enjoying being a scout leader as I was never a scout as a child, but get a lot of enjoyment being involved with the program)

Thanks!

Welcome Boothill. I am glad you are getting involved not only for your sons sake but you have seen the truth about older scouts. It seems to me we are gearing Scouts to younger boys because thats who we have now. Keeping 14 year olds and up interested has become a challenge and unfortunately they fall to the wayside (happened to me at 16!) I have heard of some troops who have programs for different levels of age in the troop. I am not sure if I agree with that since I am one who doesnt think patrols should be set up by age groups. 11 year old PL's can not usually lead 11 yearolds! You didn't mention your state, but I am sure you can find things to do nearby thats a little "more" than you've been doing. Good luck, thank you for volunteering, welcome to the forums and come back every day. This is a wonderful place to exchange ideas!

Howdy Boothil, greetings from the right coast. 50degrees here, soon to be 20 this weekend, sez the tv weatherman.

You have four main tasks ahead of you (personal exp.) 1) Get together with some likeminded boys and adults and plan out one or two easy trips as examples.Check with local parks people. Local trails, parks, etc. Ask the local District DE or Camp chair for suggestions. One or two miles in, camp, one or two miles out. 2) Convince the Troop Committee (I hope you already have the agreement of the SM!!) that your rut is getting uncomfortable. Too much car camping can make a Troop sick if not lead to a slow death. 3) Your SM takes the plans to the PLC and gains their agreement. Schedule a trip in the spring, another a month later, a little longer perhaps.. Here, the "older boys" get the chance to teach camp skills. Troop meetings can be planned around First Class skills (all of which are camp related, yes? ) and the Patrols encouraged to work together to camp, cook, share the load as a PATROL. 4) The SM and you must give the SPL the responsibility and back him up in all this. Communication is the key. Nothing happens with out calling, asking, assigning, following up. Your SPL and his ASPLs and PLC will rise to the occasion, given the chance.

Good Scouting to you!

YiS