Healthful camping menus

A previous thread began hinting at problems with the kinds of food we eat on scout outings. I agree that, especially when boys plan the menus, things tend to lean toward high-calorie, high-fat foods that are easy to prepare and high on the comfort level. I also believe that we as leaders have a responsibility to help guide the boys toward making good lifelong choices in what they eat. Can you provide some examples of good nutritious food that isn't likely to contribute to the overweight/obese couch-potato stereotype? I'll start.

Last weekend was our district Klondike. Due to the busy activity schedule, our adults volunteered to do the menu planning, food purchasing, and cooking (we NEVER do that - the boys do). Here's what we had:

Crackerbarrel: hummus (chickpeas, tahini, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil - prepped at home)

low-fat multigrain crackers

pepperoni slices (comfort food in case hummus was not liked!)

decaf tea (no sugar)

Breakfast: instant oatmeal

turkey sausage (low-fat brown 'n' serve)

instant hot chocolate

orange juice

Lunch (purchased from event staff): hamburgers

cheeseburgers

hot dogs

kelly dogs

chili (very greasy)

commercial cookies

chips (fried, not baked)

bug juice

Dinner (inter-troop pot-luck). We contributed:

Dutch oven casserole (potatoes, water-packed tuna, peas, mushroom soup, salt, pepper, tarragon)

Sticks/rocks/dirt (no-bake cookies): chow mein noodles, peanuts, chocolate chips

Cracker barrel: graham crackers (low-fat variety)

peanut butter (chunky)

decaf tea

Breakfast: eggs-in-a-bag w/ bell peppers, ham, grated cheese

large bagel (butter if desired, no cream cheese)

orange juice

hot chocolate

The kids enjoyed the food. Most of the hummus disappeared, and the scout who took the leftover portion home emailed me asking for the recipe!

Definitely the worst food was what the staff provided for lunch.

HUH???????????????

Young people need Calories. It's we old farts who can live on 1500 Calories per day or less.

They NEED cholesterol. It's part of the nutritional building blocks at 8-18 years old. It's only we old farts who gather and collect it.

They don't need "gratuitous" fat (read french fries and chips). They don't need sugar soda or decaf tea.

Nutrition is age appropriate!!! Your menu sounds to me "Politically Correct."

Beyond that, I do not understand why you over-rode normal practice and bought/cooked for the Scouts, except maybe lunch, and that because kids in the cold need hot food to warm their bellies.

Further I do not understand a cold cracker barrel??? At night in the winter, warm drinks/foods help warm the body core before getting in the sleeping bag.

My thoughts. Sorry.

I think this is a good thread. There will be many opinions and I think we need to respect them all and exchange ideas.

I agree nutrition should be age appropriate and the needs of 11 - 18 year olds will be different from us geezers. At the same time I'm not from the camp that expects us old guys to eat nothing but nuts, berrys and greens. I like meat and there are certainly more healthy ways of preparation and cuts/variety of meats that are more healthy than others.

The issue of adult cooking is a different one and I hope this thread stays on track discussing healthy menu suggestions.

I like the humus idea. One I like it and two it may have introduced a healthy snack alternative to scouts that might not think of it. It's a better choice than fried chips and soda not matter what one's age.

I brought a crudete plate(that's a veggie plate and dip) to a scout event once where every thing else was chips, cookies, soda etc. The scouts went through the carrots and cellery but left the broccoli and cauliflower. Next time I'll skip the broccoli and cauliflower and maybe add some snap pea pods or fresh string beans. I don't think I thought much of broccoli at age 11 either.

Fresh fruit is also another good choice. Pinapple, melon chunks, etc. I hate seeing doughnut chain doughnuts at breakfasts or morning meetings. I always eat them because they taste good and I know they're bad for me.

Another good hot cracker barrel choice would be teriyaki chicken strips on sticks. Lean steak strips would be fine as well. Something a little different might be venison if you know some hunters and can prepare it well. Some stores might have access to buffalo. Just trying to think of things the scouts might find interesting, a bit different and healthier.

I think we should try and be a little more creative than bags of processed chips and soda.

What else?

SA

Yah, hmmm....

Gotta agree with John-in-KC here, eh? That menu strikes me as bein' a bit inappropriate for a Klondike. Leastways up here an older scout would send it back for revisions. I actually breathed a sigh of relief when I got to readin' the lunch. I reckon takin' a look at Okpik training for some of the adults might be a good notion before runnin' more winter campouts.

IMO, campouts and other high-energy events are not the time to try to be dieting or introducing brussel sprouts. ;) Yeh shouldn't both up the activity level and drop the calorie count simultaneously. Gettin' 'em out and running around is going to do a far better job at controllin' appetite, burning calories, and avoiding obesity.

As far as menus go, yeh can make almost anything in the field that yeh can at home, particularly on a weekend or car-camping trip, eh? Just take your favorite recipes from mom and give 'em a go!

B