hello to all, i am a new den leader of the wolfs and i am also a stay at home mom, i am my sons room mom and i volenteer at my daughters pre-school,my family is my life and i love the boys in my den and in our pack,i am looking forward to talking with everyone here and getting much needed help along the way. my den is a very very active group of youg boys since i have a few with A.D.H.D my son included. any and all help is always welcomed. thank you for reading

Welcome Bing & Happy New Year!

How many Scouts do you have in your Wolf den? With multiple ADHD'ers, the more Asst Den Leaders you have the better! My son (now 1 month shy of 18 yo) is also ADHD.

You might find these resources for ADHD & Scouts to be helpful -

http://www.scouting.org/boyscouts/supplemental/pdf/ADHDTips.ppt

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/scouting/leader-hints/section-8.html

http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Oasis/1938/scout2.html

There are lots of resources for new leaders at BSA National -

http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/resources/newleader.html

Actually, the best help for a new leader is to take as much training as they can!

Have a GREAT Scout year!

i have 7 scouts and 1 Asst. he was one of the den leaders when my son was a tiger, i kinds got enlisted but don't mind, i enjoy watching the kids learn, thank you for the sites i am going to check them out.

Bing,

Greetings and welcome to the forum!

Probably the first question everyone will ask you, have you been thru training yet?

Most of the training, currently, (in my own words) consists mostly of safety and financing. It wraps up briefly with the advancement program and manuals. Monthly program ideas come in the way of Roundtable, Scouting Magazine Program Helps, and Boy's Life.

As I have moved thru the programs with my boys, and have both attended and facilitated training. I always comment on the various attention span of the youth (my own is pretty darn short).

I usually joke that a teenaged Venturer has an attention span of 90 seconds. So for a Boy Scout, maybe at a minute. Then a Webelos at 30 seconds. So the Den Leaders in attendance can humorously appreciate that their boys attention span lingers on topic, somewhere between 5-30 seconds.

That being said. My thoughts are that a Den Leader is thinking program for the entire hour, hour and half. Leaving advancements, handbook signatures, immediate recognitions, permission slips, dues and etc for the end of the meeting.

The Den Leader should be one step ahead of the boys at all times, reading their handbook front to back, and learning what they need for advancement. Roundtable is usually designed for a monthly program specifically to satisfy advancement requirements. Most Cub Scout aged boys are fast moving and quick to turn to another subject that will excite them, if a Den meeting becomes boring (lightening speed or somewhere in about 30 seconds). So it would be up to the Den Leader to ensure they constantly have a program to work on and program material to satisfy their rank advancement needs.

All that to say. "No one man is an army" (or one woman). Be sure to have Assistant Den Leaders, a Den Chief, and even parents to do all your admin (the dues, permission slips, snacks, recognitions, obtaining program material and advancement report to the committee). Good Luck and Good Scouting!

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

i have been trained with the leader ess. i would love to be able to go to round table but i have no one to watch my children and have been told that they may not come, i do go to the commitee meetings once a month and have several books on scouting. we have been working on our advancements and are doing well but i always feel we could be doing more. thankyou for your thoughts and i will keep them in mind as i plan my next meeting because i do everything myself right now.

BSA has important training that you can do right now, on-line.

http://olc.scouting.org/

Youth Protection training should be taken by every adult, registered or not, in the Scouting program. For the registered leader it is essential. For the non-registered parent it helps them to understand how we are protecting their children.

Cub Scout Fast Start Training should be taken ASAP after you register. I would recommend you do all of the sections of the Cub Scout training. It will give you a better idea of how the Pack runs & how the different dens fit in the program.

New Leader Essentials is only 1/2 of the council training you need. You should sign up for Cub Scout Den Leader Specific ASAP. That will give you some good insights into working with your Wolf den.

You said you are doing everything yourself. That is not good. Your Asst. Den Leader should be helping you. If he is not, you should look for either a replacement or an added Asst Den Leader.

Also, remember that the requirements for the Wolf (& Bear) rank award should be done MOSTLY at home with the families. You can work on some in Den meetings, but you should NOT feel that you need to do all of them. Cub Scouting is family centered. The boys & their families should accept the responsibility of working on the requirements themselves.

sorry i have done leader ess. and den leader spec. i have done youth protection and one other one online, i was unable to attend scouting university but will be doing that next year, i was suposed to be the assistant den leader but was made den leader by the pack master because of better comunication skills and better repore with the parents,and boys, we are going winter cabin camping this weekend as a pack so i am hopeing to get more time to really get a hang of everything. thanks for the info. and please keep it coming