Issues with the current SM

Someone said, that if the SM is not at the campouts, why not do what you want...

I'm not sure if going against the SM's wishes for the way the troop is run on a campout is the best way to make progress nor does it really achive your goal of a boy run troop because you still have the ineffective troop meetings. Additionally, at some point he'll find out and you could have a confrontation.

Find out what your boy wants. If he wants to stay, you'll have to work with the SM and do things his way. If he wants to leave, then you'll have to find or form a unit that provides him with the scouting experience he wants.

You mentioned that 15 boys have left the unit recently because of the way the SM runs the program. Add your son, that's 16 boys, two patrols and a whole new unit you can form. One option is to start calling those boys to see if they're interested in forming their own unit.(This message has been edited by MarkS)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jwall, welcome to the forum.

After reading what you've posted and taking your tone and emotion I'd suggest taking the advice of It's Me and "Just Leave".

By taking the position that the SM needs to go, or change his ways for that matter, you and others have obviously caused him to dig in his heels. We can all be stubborn, I'm no exception, and if given no room to wiggle, I will push back or at least hold my ground. This is what's popped out at me with what you've posted about your current SM. No finger pointing, that's just human nature.

Scouting is PHUN, never forget that, and when you stop having PHUN, you're not going to get the true message from the program. Neither is your son. No matter how much you try to hide your issues with these other adults, the kids are not blind and know what's going on. Find a troop you're happy with, make the move and begin to love Scouting again. Don't feel alone either, this is really more common than we like to think.

Good luck