How many parents do we need?

Hotdesk,

That is wonderful story, though I am sure, bittersweet. My condolences for your loss. You are fortunate to have memories of the great man that your father was. Many people don't have that opportunity. I would like to use your story when needed for recruiting parents.

regards,

Venividi

I think the answer is something near 1 adult to 1 boy.

The role of the SM and ASM has changed over the years. The Committe chair can't do all the stuff such as contact campsites, track advancements and merit badges for the COH, balance the checkbook, make sure the dues are correctly recorded and on and on.

In many cases the adults take a "permanent job" in the Troop such as advancement chair while the Troop leadership (boys) rotate every six months. Many times the new boy in the job such as scribe is really taught by the Newsletter Editor how to write (just an example).

I don't remember the good old days, but I know that the time I spend with my son now, he is 11, can never be recreated and will be the basis for memories when I'll be talking to his kids, God willing that I live to see it.

I don't know how one SM can be a real mentor to all of the kids for the duration of the weekly troop meeting. The parents are really the backbone because without them the kids would not be encouraged to stay on.

Our Troop could not survive without the parents encouraging the kids and the parents are very helpful to the Troop from the smallest job to the hardest!