It is that time of year again.

Just a quick question about "steping on toes".

Is there a line in the sand when having an open house?

We live in a smallish town, 1 feeder pack from the local elementry school.The next town over has the same deal

Middelscool gets more complcated. 1 middle school with boys in 3 different toops.

I think we should open the open house to all the cub packs in the area, because this scout thing is not a 1 size fits all program.

My SM feels that we may hurt the other troops

What do you think?

Ideally Webelos should choose the troop that is the best fit for them. This business of "feeder" packs, while I understand where it comes from, is not really how things are designed to work. Just because a boy was in pack 123 does not mean he will be best served by joining troop 123's program. He might be happier, more successful, and stick with it longer if he joins troop 456's program instead. And ultimately we should be looking for that best "fit" for everyone rather than getting caught in the turf war.

What I would suggest is that if your troop decides you want to do an open house for all packs, get together with the SMs from the other troops in town and let them know that's your plan. Encourage them to do likewise (meaning, they should also invite your "feeder" pack). I've found that if we take the perspective that we're all brothers in scouting regardless of the troop #s on our shoulder, everybody ends up better off. And a little open communication goes a long way toward avoiding hurt feelings.

What Lisabob said. Don't be swayed or deterred if you get a BIG frown from the other troops. Your responsibility first is to the youth you serve and wish to extend service to and not other units. Be ready however if "your" Webelos don;t crossover into your troop but go somewhere else. LH

For the past six years, our district has sponsored an open house at the November Roundtable where troops set up a display area, and Webelos II's are welcome to come visit with several troops at once. Most WDL's find it to be more convenient than trying to take up several den meeting nights with doing troop visits.

Some of the troops who don't have natural or historical feed then have standalone open houses in the following weeks.

It seems to work in our area, and maybe it will work in your situation.

(This message has been edited by eolesen)