New here.

Question is has anyone seen much activity with the BSA Fitness Award? Link below:

http://www.scouting.org/nav/enter.jsp?s=xx&c=ds&terms=fitness++award

I think it is a great idea. Good stuff and a step towards getting scouts to understand some indepth info of fitness, nutrition, health, etc.

I am multiple enrolled (ACM and UC) and want have been trying to work on it for myself so that I can see what it would take for scouts to achieve...how hard, what it takes, how long, etc.

Ok, but on several attempts with the local district and council to find the ..."Mentor" for this award, none has a clue or can give me any idea as to who to contact.

Now, I am not just affter the patch. I got a box of those. My wife and I have been trying to get fit and in shape and this looked like a good plan to take a look at myself and what I really knew about fitness (not to mention getting a physical - which I have not had in over 4 years).

I know that many of the scouts in our council would benefit from this program, but it appears to be a dead end everytime I have tried to get info or find a council or district contact. I have emailed council and district training committee chairs as well as the DE.

Suggestions are welcomed.

This award is from 2002. Perhaps your council never had anyone do this award. The requirements state that "a merit badge counselor in any physical activity-oriented merit badge may serve as a mentor for this award". Get a MBC list from your council and contact one of the counselors. I would try the Personal Fitness counselors first.

Another problem I see from looking at the award requirements is that although it states Cub Scouts can earn it, the award seems to be focused more on Boy Scouts and adults.

Thanks for the reply. That will at least help me to locate a resource to assist with unit members and myself working on that.

I do agree that the although the requirements include cub scouts, they do seem skewed towards scouts, venturers, and adults.

I have not seen any discussions or documentation that help in that direction, nor have I actually seen or heard of anyone that has completed the requirements for that award. I have seen the patches and flyers in numerous council offices and scout shops, but nothing more than that in regards to making it any more visable to cubs, scouts, venturers, or adults.

Does anyone have any other thoughts or experiences with this in either a general or specific narure?