An Example in Troubleshootin

Here is some more. We Had Program planning and greenbar meeting Saturday (5 hrs but extremely productive) and adult leadership meeting Sunday (4 hrs and again extremely productive). The past 2 days I have been doing and updating paperwork and communications as a result of the meetings.

I am not big on watersports, I will do them, one ASM and activity coordinator are whitewater certified. With the effort to re-equip the troop and the numbers of 14 and youngert scouts we did not put whitewater on the schedule this year but likely will in 2008-2009. Camping and hiking are mostly what I am into. Personally I ski and the boys always love to have it on the calendar once, ussuslly december when the holidays take so much time we just need a quick outing that does not involve packup and setting camp and the parents and siblings enjoy the outing as well.

Committe....I beleive we have our ducks in a row now with a good group that is going to all pull in the same direction.

CC....as mentioned, just came in from cub pack 9 months ago, enthusiastic and personable, si on disability so he has time to do what needs to be done, his son is super into scouting so I think he will be around a while.

Merit BAdge/Advancement coordinator....She has done merit badge for 3 years and Advancement for 1, been in scouts since her kids were tigers. Her oldest is 17 and 6 months from his Eagle, yougest is 13 and is almost at Star, she will be around for a few more years, and is very happy with the troop, the adults and the scouts and the program direction more than ever before.

Treasurer....A great man who moved up our way a year go, hsi son crossed over from cubs. He is a fantastic treasurer in every sense of the word and is into camping, he basically acts as an ASM making nearly all fund raisers and activities, even helps run several activities a year and has had loads of very beneifical ideas, many of tehm he has taken on as projects to improve the troop.

We have 3 who are fund raising coordinators, one runs the popcorn program, one runs canle sales and the other runs wreath sales, all are brand new adult committee members but all have been involved with the troop with their sons for several years now and should be around for a few more.

Secretaries....All have been Committee mebers for at least a year and will split the duties, all have sons who are Star and actively want to go to eagle, One does all the paper records filing and copying, one takes notes and some correspondance and form filling out and running the new "phone tree" we are implementing, the other (my Wife) does all the electronic stuff (Email dist lists, Roster, spreadsheets that track adult training, community service hours, driver license and insurance info etc).

Activities Coordiantor....the last scoumaster....he specializes in Caving and white water and helping with the paperwork regarding summer camp. Both his sons have lost interest and rarely show up for meetings or activities, if we loose tehm we will loose teh activity coordinator as well. He did a good job buthas really stepped back from the burnout and terrible treatment from some adults. Hea nd I get along fine but he has mostly had it and his kids are doing other things now.

Fundraising

Popcorn Sales

Wreath Sales

Candle Sales

Firewood (We do about 20 cords every fall)

Spring Spaghetti dinner

A couple concession stands at rodeo''s and local sport meets at teh high school....

$8000-$10,000 annually

ASM''s (Not including the 2 inactive ones I have effectively lost with their sons moving on tho college)

Tom.....On the fire dept with me, in it for the love of the program as kids are long grown, ino camping, hiking and white water, skis too, den chief coordinator, very dependable, can run trips independantly.

Dave....new to us, he had a hart attack and has been busy this summer, an outdorrsman into camping, will focus on troop equipment that we need to revamp entirely, can run an activity with some help

Eric....Just made Eagle and turned 18, very responsible and into the program, moved down hill and is running a tiger den in a cub pack there but stayed on as ASM as he loves teh way the troop is going now and does not want to leave.

Mike....On teh fire dept with me, also very involved in church, time is extremely limited but will run a hike adn a bike trip this coming year for us

Doug....Scoutmaster from 4 years ago, was SM for 8 yrs, came back as he likes the way the troop is run, had a heart attack in AMrch but is back helping run the troop and mentor the Eagle candidates.

Terry....technically treasurer but is functioning as an ASM...can independently run an activty strt to finish.

Fund Raising