Pioneering Material Question

My troop wants to get into doing some Pioneering activities.

What sort of poles (logs), lengths, diameters, material would be required, how many, etc.?

They want to start off building simple things first, like campsite gateways, then move into more complicated projects like towers and bridges.

Any ideas and or plans?

Thanks

OGO

I'm trying not to sound glib but the troop should use materials they finds on location. That is true pioneering.

If the troop just wants to practice lashings, etc. in a troop meeting scenario (indoors?), I'd suggest nothing thicker than 4 inches in diameter and not more than 8 ft in lenght because anything bigger would be too unyieldy (is that a word?) for 10 year olds.

One could read the Pioneering Merit Badge book, the final chapter, titled "Pioneering Kit" gives a pretty extensive explanation of what is needed spar and rope wise along with dimensions and some auxilary equipment to consider.

Is there a copy of the Pioneering merit badge book in the Troop's library? It would seem to be an excellent acquisition

Extreme Pioneering:::

Google "Chinese Bamboo Scaffolding"

and marvel at the 50 stories high, LASHED together outer scaffolding utilized in construction.

start at www.inbar.int/nm

At the Jambo, we saw a lashed together merry-go-round, several 'tensegrity' structures, all lashed from poles and rope. Maaavelous...

Wrap it thrice, frap it twice...

Also from inquiry.net in the section on Scout Staves are several projects using your hiking staff.

I think this might be a good way to incorporate having another multifunctional item you carry with you. You could have them to practice with at meetings or at LNT (Leave No Trace)campsites and either use them for camp gadgets or use good deadfall for leave behind Pioneering efforts at non-LNT sites.

I'm using what looks like it was intended to be a broom handle and will soon be incorporating some of the inquiry.net suggestions to make it more useful as a carry item.